The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 23, 2016, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

We're actually in the middle of a large invitational ASA tournament this weekend.

Our UIC has had a rough time getting umps to cover 10U (single ump games during pool play) and 12U thru 18U+. (First I've seen the 18U+ category. I don't think it's a classification from ASA. Could have been made up for this type of tournament.)

We've got a couple/few guys from out of state, we're using some of our slow pitch guys on bases, and we've got 2 or 3 umps who cannot work plates for various and sundry reasons.

Our temperatures reached into the mid-90s on both Friday and Saturday which is not uncommon for NH.

I'll second the notion about an umpire shortage. It also didn't help that there are 2 other ASA invitational tournaments going in in NH this same weekend, further exacerbating a difficult time of finding umps to work.

I know we're using some folks that might otherwise not be asked to work but because of the shortage we're pressed into using them.

For Sunday, we've got folks working as many as 5 games and there are breaks in between games. But there are some that have 4 games in a row.

And, like many areas, we have the dollar chasers. And we have stupid umpires who say they can work 4, 5, or 6 games a day. These are the folks that the UIC needs to protect from themselves. But when you're scrambling, you have to make concessions. We had a lot of drop-outs, and today had a couple of umps go down.

I'm at the point where I tell my UIC that I'm best for 2 games a day, with or without a break in between. If he's really stuck, I'll do 3 games but not in a row. Right now I've got 2 for tomorrow which suits me just fine. I know trying to fill a bracket with a bunch of umps that can only do 2 games a day isn't realistic, but that's what I can comfortably manage these days.
Old Sun Jul 24, 2016, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

FYI .... 3 heat-related umpire issues yesterday, none deemed serious (easy for the non-affected to say!)
Old Sun Jul 24, 2016, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
FYI .... 3 heat-related umpire issues yesterday, none deemed serious (easy for the non-affected to say!)
Had one more today and the last game was at 1230. Todays was a guy who had to stop yesterday ... another great decision by the UIC.
Old Sun Jul 24, 2016, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Had one more today and the last game was at 1230. Todays was a guy who had to stop yesterday ... another great decision by the UIC.
That's a bad decision by the umpire.
Old Sun Jul 24, 2016, 10:59pm
High Five Master

I understand it's hot but cmon. 2-3 games per day is all some of you will work? How much are you making each game? Is it really even worth your time/effort at that point? Call me a money whore all you want but I can do six in a row in my sleep. We do it all the time around here. 70 min time limit games.

It's not something I look forward to but I do this for money, not to work two games and go home. If you don't do this for the money as one of the top five reasons you are doing it, then why put up with all the shit that goes with it?
Old Mon Jul 25, 2016, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
That's a bad decision by the umpire.
true, probably a worse decision than the UIC asking him to go out there again
Old Mon Jul 25, 2016, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I understand it's hot but cmon. 2-3 games per day is all some of you will work? How much are you making each game? Is it really even worth your time/effort at that point? Call me a money whore all you want but I can do six in a row in my sleep. We do it all the time around here. 70 min time limit games.

It's not something I look forward to but I do this for money, not to work two games and go home. If you don't do this for the money as one of the top five reasons you are doing it, then why put up with all the shit that goes with it?
we are talking more than 2 in a row when its 115-120 degrees on the field with no place to cool off in between games
Old Mon Jul 25, 2016, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
true, probably a worse decision than the UIC asking him to go out there again
At some point you have to treat adults like adults. Presumably, the umpire assured him he was good to go. Unless your UIC has a medical degree, I think you are being overly critical.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2016, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
At some point you have to treat adults like adults. Presumably, the umpire assured him he was good to go. Unless your UIC has a medical degree, I think you are being overly critical.
overly critical ???

possibly .....
Old Mon Jul 25, 2016, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Well, some of us are not 30- or 40-something years old any more. A few years back, I could do 4 or 5 games a day, not any more. While the time may not have changed, the effort it takes me to get through the games is now more of an issue.

For this tournament, we primarily had no new inning starting after 1:30 w/ a drop dead time of 1:45. Semis and Finals were untimed.

I guess it's up to each individual to determine if the "time & effort is worth it". You can't paint everyone with the same brush.

We have a 75 year old guy who will say he can work 5 games in a day. In game 1, he cannot bend over to brush off the plate. And yes, I'd call him a "money whore". We know locally not to assign him more than 3 games a day, but he goes all over working other tournaments because of the dearth of officials. And those UICs that may not know him, or know him a little bit, have no qualms giving him 4 games in a row or 5 in a day. So on Sunday and Monday mornings he can barely get out of bed.

Our small group of local umpires is aging and we're not getting many newer guys. This year was good as we got 1 guy back from battling cancer along w/ 2 other guys in their mid-40's.

I personally opted out of Nationals consideration because I didn't feel physically able to work 4 or 5 games a day for the better part of a week. Yes, I know some tournaments are smaller and less demanding, but for me, working a couple of games a day at my local venues fits the bill just right. It is definitely worth my time and effort.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2016, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Who says you have to put up with shit? While the money is nice, in the 45+ years, I've never umpired for the money, baseball or softball.

And, IMO, if you are doing 6 in a row in your sleep, you are not providing the service for which you are being paid.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2016, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post

I'll second the notion about an umpire shortage. It also didn't help that there are 2 other ASA invitational tournaments going in in NH this same weekend, further exacerbating a difficult time of finding umps to work.
IMO, one of the largest issues in some areas. Unfortunately, people don't give a shit about the next guy or the services available.

I had absolutely no problem tell the commissioner that a tournament couldn't be covered if it were sanctioned on the same weekend as others.

Again IMO, this "schedule it and umpires will appear" mentality is part of a major problem with the game of softball.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2016, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
... this "schedule it and umpires will appear" mentality is part of a major problem with the game of softball.
yes, this is a huge problem in NTX
Old Mon Jul 25, 2016, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

The most games I have ever done in a row is 4. HS JV softball tourney, 2 plate, 2 bases. I could barely get out of bed in the morning after that. We were only supposed to work 2 games, but due to a scheduling conflict, 2 umpires needed to be moved elsewhere, so we got 4.

This was in temps in the mid 70's IIRC, certainly not close to 100. I can't imagine doing anything close to 6 games in a row. In fact for the games I generally work, we would not be playing the games in temps that high. Most of our area leagues, facilities have a heat limit. For example the league I do a lot of WRECK league work in is based in the school system. If the NWS issues a heat warning, all games are cancelled. Any time the heat index is over 105 the games are cancelled. If the temp is 85 or higher and the humidity is 70 or higher, play is suspended until the temp or humidity drops.

When the local community has lost an athlete to a heat related death, it is amazing how quickly they inact rules regarding heat situations.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2016, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Right now here.
96°
RealFeel® 111°

Now, that is tooo hot for me.
But, I'd probably take 2 games with a break.