The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   New One fro Me (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/101318-new-one-fro-me.html)

SE Minnestoa Re Tue May 03, 2016 11:02am

New One fro Me

Last night varsity softball. I am on the bases. Visiting team changes pitchers. While HP and the coach deal with substitutions, I do my due diligence and count warm up pitches. When she finished the 4th one, I told the home plate umpire one more.

The coach comes all unglued that we should not be counting warm up pitches unless we count both teams. HP and coach exchange pleasantries and coach gets a warning to knock it off.

I have never seen such a conflict over something so petty.

CecilOne Tue May 03, 2016 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 987054)
Last night varsity softball. I am on the bases. Visiting team changes pitchers. While HP and the coach deal with substitutions, I do my due diligence and count warm up pitches. When she finished the 4th one, I told the home plate umpire one more.

The coach comes all unglued that we should not be counting warm up pitches unless we count both teams. HP and coach exchange pleasantries and coach gets a warning to knock it off.

Definitely petty, even with the situation needing a pitcher change.

I often wonder how many of us enforce the excess pitch rule and whether it matters if the catcher/pitcher has been told no more.

A lot of catchers think 5 pitches and THEN a throw down pitch. :rolleyes:

RKBUmp Tue May 03, 2016 11:35am

There is no penalty if the pitcher throws additional pitches while the umpire is performing other duties.

CecilOne Tue May 03, 2016 11:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 987064)
There is no penalty if the pitcher throws additional pitches while the umpire is performing other duties.

If that is still the sitch when the 5th pitch is thrown.

RKBUmp Tue May 03, 2016 11:42am

My point being, if the plate umpire is still performing other duties there is no need to stop the pitcher from warming up and there is no penalty for the pitcher to keep throwing during this period.

CecilOne Tue May 03, 2016 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 987067)
My point being, if the plate umpire is still performing other duties there is no need to stop the pitcher from warming up and there is no penalty for the pitcher to keep throwing during this period.

Not disagreeing, just expanding. ;)

charliej47 Thu May 05, 2016 07:24am

When I am doing the Plate and am going to be busy, I will tell the catcher to keep warming up the pitcher until I tell them to stop.:eek:

Dakota Thu May 05, 2016 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliej47 (Post 987134)
When I am doing the Plate and am going to be busy, I will tell the catcher to keep warming up the pitcher until I tell them to stop.:eek:

Why?

CecilOne Thu May 05, 2016 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliej47 (Post 987134)

That's coaching and might contradict the actual coach.

charliej47 Thu May 05, 2016 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 987138)
Why?

At one of the state meetings (Ohio), this was discussed and we were told that while doing the admin functions, we should tell the pitcher to take more pitches to stay warm if necessary.

Andy Thu May 05, 2016 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 987054)

Simple response to coach...."I AM counting warm up pitches for both teams"

CecilOne Thu May 05, 2016 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 987142)
Simple response to coach...."I AM counting warm up pitches for both teams"

If worth a response at all, analogous to "call it both ways".