The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   New ASA Structure (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/101288-new-asa-structure.html)

IRISHMAFIA Tue Apr 26, 2016 07:12pm

New ASA Structure

How sad.

The 15 Regions will change to 10 Regions, with four Territories as of January 1, 2017.
Region 1: ME, VT, NH, MA, CT, NY, NJ, and PA
Region 2: Ohio, WV, VA, DC, MD, DE, and NC...
Region 3: TN, GA, SC and FL
Region 4: AR, LA, MS and AL
Region 5: TX, OK, and NM
Region 6: MI, Ill, IN and KY
Region 7: KS, MO, IA, NE and CO
Region 8: WI, MN, ND and SD
Region 9: WA, OR, MT, ID, WY, AK and UT
Region 10: CA, NV, AZ and HI
Four territories:
East Regions 1 and 2
North Regions 6, 7 and 8
South Region 3, 4 and 5
West Regions 9 and 10

Andy Wed Apr 27, 2016 09:29am

Ok....I'll bite...

Why is this sad?

For me personally and my local association, we anticipate it to be a very positive change.

CecilOne Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 986791)
Ok....I'll bite...

Why is this sad?

I guess because it is a reflection of fewer participants. :(
Thank you Xbox, iphones, Facebook, etc. :rolleyes:

Linknblue Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:13am

Isn't simpler better? I've never understood how this organization was set up in the first place....way too many parts for me.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Apr 27, 2016 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 986791)
Ok....I'll bite...

Why is this sad?

For me personally and my local association, we anticipate it to be a very positive change.

This has been going on for years. Their reasoning, IMO, is rubbish.

To me, it is more about shared power and centralized control. Ever since OH & VA got into a groove of splitting up national tournaments along with the DC/MD commissioner, PA has been trying to get out of Region 3. However, that was when there was a Region 2 and not the entire Northeast.

It is also about money. You just reduced the number of Regional UIC by 33% while at the same time increasing deputies by 4 but another layer removed from the local associations. I fear the more they distance themselves from the local associations, the weaker the base becomes as USA Softball becomes top-heavy.

BTW, Andy, was this approved in November?

Andy Wed Apr 27, 2016 03:13pm

This was the topic of much discussion at the council meeting in November, but was not proposed as a change.

I don't know all the inner workings, but the re-alignment was passed by the Board of Directors at their meeting a couple of weeks ago. I understand there will be many code changes proposed at council meeting this year to accommodate the re-alignment. The re-alignment is scheduled to go into effect on Jan 1, 2017.

The hiring of the Deputy Directors was a necessary step in giving the umpire program an avenue of direct reports to the local associations.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Apr 27, 2016 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 986810)
This was the topic of much discussion at the council meeting in November, but was not proposed as a change.

Yeah, that is part of my problem. At one time, ASA was probably the most democratic organization in the country. They have slowly become the Ivory Tower sort.

Quote:

I don't know all the inner workings, but the re-alignment was passed by the Board of Directors at their meeting a couple of weeks ago. I understand there will be many code changes proposed at council meeting this year to accommodate the re-alignment. The re-alignment is scheduled to go into effect on Jan 1, 2017.

The hiring of the Deputy Directors was a necessary step in giving the umpire program an avenue of direct reports to the local associations.
They have good deputies on board, just seems they are spread geographically thin.