The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NFHS Softball Roster (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/101271-nfhs-softball-roster.html)

gainesj Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:53pm

NFHS Softball Roster

What's the max number of player that a high school varsity softball game allowed

IRISHMAFIA Thu Apr 21, 2016 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gainesj (Post 986566)
What's the max number of player that a high school varsity softball game allowed

I would think that would be up to the state association

Scooby Thu Apr 21, 2016 01:44pm

There is no limit in Michigan.

SNIPERBBB Thu Apr 21, 2016 03:21pm

Or the school.

charliej47 Fri Apr 22, 2016 05:44am

I believe that in Ohio it is 25 once tournaments starts.

SNIPERBBB Fri Apr 22, 2016 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliej47 (Post 986590)
I believe that in Ohio it is 25 once tournaments starts.

It's 22 this year

charliej47 Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 986627)
It's 22 this year

I want to say that there can be no substitutions made to the roster after it is submitted, is that correct?

CecilOne Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:02pm

Those who wonder need to check their own State rules, manual, guidelines, or web site. :rolleyes:

SNIPERBBB Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliej47 (Post 986712)
I want to say that there can be no substitutions made to the roster after it is submitted, is that correct?

Can you give an example of what you mean? Technically you can make changes to the roster, though after the second time the HC is restricted to the bench. Now if you mean taking a player off the roster and adding another player and your at the limit of 22 players. . . you might need the OHSAA to to settle this as a breach of tournament eligibility rules.

CecilOne Mon Apr 25, 2016 01:16pm

Are we confusing roster and lineup?

charliej47 Mon Apr 25, 2016 01:43pm

I would have to look at my state book, but I think it lists the restrictions on the team after the State tournaments start. Such as how many can be on the roster as the roster has to be submitted before the game. I want to say that the book also stated that roster member replacement is restricted after it has been submitted.

SNIPERBBB Mon Apr 25, 2016 01:59pm

3.1.3 SITUATION:

The visiting team's head coach submits and verifies a lineup card with No. 4, L. Brown listed eighth in the batting order and playing first base. However, L. Brown is actually wearing uniform No. 21. After reaching base in the top of the third inning, the home coach appeals to the umpire that L. Brown is batting out of order.

RULING: L. Brown is the correct batter but is in violation of the rule that requires a player's name and shirt number be correct on the lineup card. A team warning is issued to the visiting head coach, the error is corrected on the lineup card and play is resumed. Any subsequent name or number correction (including adding a substitute) to the lineup card will result in the visiting head coach being restricted to the team dugout/bench area for the remainder of the game.

ART. 3 . . . The team's lineup card shall include first initial and last name, jersey number, position and batting order of each starting player and shall include each eligible substitute. Lineups become official after they have been exchanged, verified and then accepted by the plate umpire during the pregame conference.

PENALTY: After the lineup card has been submitted to and verified by the umpire and a change is subsequently made to a player/substitute name or number, or if a player/substitute is added to the lineup card, the umpire shall issue a team warning to the head coach of the team involved. Any further changes made to a player/substitute name or number results in the head coach being restricted to the dugout/bench area for the remainder of the game.

AtlUmpSteve Mon Apr 25, 2016 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 986728)
Are we confusing roster and lineup?

Not sure if we are, but it appears that at least someone is.

chapmaja Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 986571)
There is no limit in Michigan.

I find it interesting that the MHSAA does not have a limit on roster size for the softball/baseball post-season, but does have a limit for basketball, and volleyball, which are the closest sports to softball/baseball that the MHSAA conducts.