The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   OBS past HP (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/101027-obs-past-hp.html)

tcannizzo Sun Mar 06, 2016 09:55am

OBS past HP

R misses HP and is OBS in the attempt to return to touch.

Semi-serious question: What bases was R between where the OBS occurred? :eek:

teebob21 Sun Mar 06, 2016 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo (Post 983277)

Any specific rule set? I'm paraphrasing, as my books are in the car right now, but speaking ASA, a runner is deemed to have reached a base when he/she passes it, whether touched or untouched. So I suppose the runner is between home and....home?

I would protect the OBS runner when attempting to return to HP, but not protect the runner attempting to return to 3B. I reserve the right to change this after looking at the book. :)

I imagine this gets ugly if you judge that the runner would not have reached the plate (a second time) absent the obstruction.

CecilOne Sun Mar 06, 2016 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 983300)
I would protect the OBS runner when attempting to return to HP,

If so, you would award HP in the OP case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 983300)
but not protect the runner attempting to return to 3B.

If missed 3rd & HP, the attempt to return to 3rd is legit.

teebob21 Sun Mar 06, 2016 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 983301)
If missed 3rd & HP, the attempt to return to 3rd is legit.

Agreed. I was trying not to add elements to the situation. A runner can always attempt to return to a missed base while the ball remains live.

The ugly part that I would need clarification/help on from the book is this: What happens when the OBS runner is put out, and the play is dead? The runner may no longer return to touch a missed base beyond the one they have passed, but we award the bases per the OBS rule. Those bases are supposed to be ran legally. So far; so good.

If we award a base (in this case, home), and the missed base is not touched on the award (say the runner simply goes to the dugout), can the defense make a dead-ball appeal for an out before the next pitch? I think they can.

(I'm heading to the car for my books to edit rule cites into this comment later...)

Rich Ives Sun Mar 06, 2016 06:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 983303)
Agreed. I was trying not to add elements to the situation. A runner can always attempt to return to a missed base while the ball remains live.

The ugly part that I would need clarification/help on from the book is this: What happens when the OBS runner is put out, and the play is dead? The runner may no longer return to touch a missed base beyond the one they have passed, but we award the bases per the OBS rule. Those bases are supposed to be ran legally. So far; so good.

If we award a base (in this case, home), and the missed base is not touched on the award (say the runner simply goes to the dugout), can the defense make a dead-ball appeal for an out before the next pitch? I think they can.

(I'm heading to the car for my books to edit rule cites into this comment later...)

Is this a softball rule? It's not true in baseball.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Mar 06, 2016 06:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 983303)

Not true. A player may return to touch missed bases during a dead ball.

Quote:

Again, not true, the OBS runner must be given the opportunity to complete his/her running tasks prior to the umpire accepting an appeal or awarding bases.

Quote:

See above and yes, then the appeal is accepted and ruled on by the umpire in the case above.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Mar 06, 2016 06:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo (Post 983277)

Why, would you consider returning a runner to 3B who has already passed the plate?

tcannizzo Mon Mar 07, 2016 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 983327)
Why, would you consider returning a runner to 3B who has already passed the plate?

lol I don't think so... as I wrote, "semi-serious question":).
And I certainly wouldn't award 1B.:D

Manny A Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:20am

She's already past home when she's obstructed, so I don't see why you need to worry about which bases she's between, because the only possible award she's going to get is home. So I don't understand the reason for your question.

tcannizzo Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:52am

Message board fodder, nothing else.

teebob21 Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 983326)
Not true. A player may return to touch missed bases during a dead ball.

Yup, I kicked that one. For some reason my brain hung up on the next thought, where the runner enters the dugout and may no longer return to touch... That's what happens when I don't look at the books and just start typing.

CecilOne Tue Mar 08, 2016 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 983406)
YThat's what happens when I don't look at the books and just start typing.

Typing ok, calling game ??? ;) :D :D :p