The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Is bat illegal in NCAA? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/100926-bat-illegal-ncaa.html)

shipwreck Fri Feb 19, 2016 08:41pm

Is bat illegal in NCAA?

Easton FP14S1 with a predominant yellow barrel. Is this legal for NCAA? Rule this year says color must be contrasting color to the ball. Yellow and optic yellow are different colors. Are they contrasting enough?

Dakota Fri Feb 19, 2016 09:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 981662)
Easton FP14S1 with a predominant yellow barrel. Is this legal for NCAA? Rule this year says color must be contrasting color to the ball. Yellow and optic yellow are different colors. Are they contrasting enough?

Maybe someone can explain the logic behind this rule... until then... What a stupid rule!

shipwreck Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:58pm

Yes it says the dominant color of the barrel must be a contrasting color.

AtlUmpSteve Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 981663)
Maybe someone can explain the logic behind this rule... until then... What a stupid rule!

That bat model is on the NCAA Approved bat list. So apparently it sufficiently contrasts.

Tom, the rule exists because several bats had colors so identical to the ball that players (and umpires!!) had difficulty seeing the ball off the bat; and the delay in recognizing the ball movement was considered a safety issue. Not a major brand, but I bet you can think of it.

well, they didn't outlaw the brand, just the color. I think it affected 1 or 2 other bats on the list, but them's the breaks.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 981670)

Tom, the rule exists because several bats had colors so identical to the ball that players (and umpires!!) had difficulty seeing the ball off the bat; and the delay in recognizing the ball movement was considered a safety issue. .

Are these the same type of folks that argue a pitcher wearing mirrored sunglasses is a distraction to the batter? :)

Rich Ives Sat Feb 20, 2016 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 981708)
Are these the same type of folks that argue a pitcher wearing mirrored sunglasses is a distraction to the batter? :)

I would object to the bat but not the sunglasses.

KJUmp Sun Feb 21, 2016 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 981662)

While 3.3.1.8.5 reads exactly as you quoted it....the Rule Changes Power Point Presentation slide titled Bat Barrel Color reads..."No yellow barrel bats-primary color."

IRISHMAFIA Sun Feb 21, 2016 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 981746)
I would object to the bat but not the sunglasses.

I think it is a load of crap. The bat and ball are not together long enough to mae it difficult to pick up on the hit.

IMO, just another excuse for a failing moment.

Were bats with white barrels legal when using a white ball? Wouldn't safety also be a concern with a 60mph pitch coming from a optic yellow covered thigh at such a close range? And again, was that an issue when both were white?