The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 29, 2000, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Red has the ball and is attacking the goal. All of reds players + all of whites players are on the attacking side of the field. Whites defender gets the ball and clears it to the left side of the field and in his own half to a forward. The red keeper comes to defend and ( Football Style ) tackles the white forward. The ball roles out of bounds. What is your call ? Is it a yellow or red or just a plain FK to white or a throwin for white? Keep in mind that this happened at the halfway-line.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2000, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Once the keeper comes out of his box, he is treated just as any other player. I would red-card him for unsportsmanlike conduct.

I don't have a casebook example so this is just a matter of opinion.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2000, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for your response.
Atleast someone is using this page besides me.
I did not Red Card the keeeper because there was no rule to allow me to. I did give a Yellow for USB.
Old Sun Jul 16, 2000, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

You can't eject for unsportsmanlike conduct, it's a yellow card offence.

If the tackle was violent enough (which a football tackle definetely would be!!), it could be considered Serious Foul Play, which is a red card.

If it denied an obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity (ie something like no defenders between keeper and attacker, and no other defenders involved in play... and you are confident that the attacker had a good chance to beat the keeper if he wasn't tackled...) This is also cause for red card.

So it would be a direct kick for attacker where he was tackled ( or a penalty kick if it was in the 18 yard box), and eject the keeper for either of the above 2 reasons.

------------------
!

[This message has been edited by Rapmaster (edited August 15, 2000).]
Old Fri Aug 11, 2000, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Absolutely...Ejection for Serious Foul Play!
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Yes to the ejection; this reflects a dilemma we often face-- we know the right thing to do, but we aren't aware of [or able to cite] chapter and verse outlining the situation so we dilute the sanction [yellow card instead of red] and the game slowly deteriorates

several fall back positions that are unassailable and useful as an official are:
yellow card - flagrant and persistent foul
yellow card - unsportsmanlike behavior
red card - serious foul play

the mechanics of the call cannot be disputed, as it is procedurally correct; then simply the referee's interpretation of "flagrant" "persistent" "unsportsmanlike" and "serious" is subject to question, and the discussion then takes on a different tone

if you eject for unsportsmanlike, as rapmaster points out, you are in procedural error and the coach will be all over you, and correctly so