The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Soccer (https://forum.officiating.com/soccer/)
-   -   Soccer Season (https://forum.officiating.com/soccer/21108-soccer-season.html)

phatneff Thu Jun 30, 2005 02:37pm

I've always been curious about this, so I decided to throw out the question:

When is your local high school soccer season for girls and boys?

In Ohio, it's in the fall. I wasn't sure if other parts of the country have a different time of year for their season.

refnrev Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:29pm

I do two states. In Illinois, where I live, HS boys are in the Fall and HS girls in the Spring. In Indiana, where I also officate, both are in the Fall. That makes it nice for USSF games for both boys and girls in the Spring.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jul 05, 2005 09:23am

I am also registered in Ohio, and I am also registered in Michigan where boys' H.S. is played in the Fall and girls' H.S. is played in the Spring. I also know that both boys' and girls' H.S. is played in the Winter in Florida at the same time boys' and girls' basketball is played.

MTD, Sr.

Nevadaref Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:32pm

In northern Nevada both the boys and girls play their HS seasons in the Fall. However, in southern Nevada (LV) the boys play in the Fall and the girls play in the Winter.

This means that there is a state title game for the boys, but not the girls in the largest classification (4A).

I've heard that there is a plan to move the Vegas girls season back to the Fall by 2006.

refnrev Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
In northern Nevada both the boys and girls play their HS seasons in the Fall. However, in southern Nevada (LV) the boys play in the Fall and the girls play in the Winter.

This means that there is a state title game for the boys, but not the girls in the largest classification (4A).

__________________________________________________ _________

Why not?

CecilOne Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:02pm

Maryland - both fall.
Pennsylvania - both fall.
Delaware - boys fall, girls spring (supposedly to avoid conflict with field hockey).

Nevadaref Sun Jul 10, 2005 03:44am

Quote:

Originally posted by refnrev
Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref

__________________________________________________ _________

Why not?

Are you being serious? If so, I'll elaborate. The girls season up North ends in early November. The girls season down South gets over in mid February. Would you suggest that the Northern champions put their team back together after three months off and then go play the Southern champions in a state title game? See the problem?

refnrev Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:04pm

I just figured since they played at different times of the year they might classify them in different leagues or something of that nature. I thought that each might have their own tournament progression and be named league or tournament champions. That's all. What is the rationale for different seasons in the same state, anyway?

Nevadaref Mon Jul 11, 2005 06:33am

Since the schools in question are the largest schools in the state, it wouldn't make any sense to classify them differently. However, we do crown both a northern and southern champion. It is just that they never meet on the girls side and that is unfortunate.
The reason that the Vegas girls play in the winter is that they have the weather to do it. (Up north there is snow on the ground during those months.) This makes it easier for them to schedule fields and referees for which there is always a shortage.
But as I said this will likely change for 2006.

refnrev Mon Jul 11, 2005 03:51pm

Got it. Thanks for the info.

ref2coach Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:02am

TN Girls season is in the fall, the Boys are in the spring.

This means boys do not Have to choose between Football vs Soccer. I also means gils do not have to choose between Softball and Soccer.

This also allows for the referee community to be better utilized. We also do not have the Soccer Boys vs Soccer Girls contesting for equal use of the soccer fields and coaches.

phatneff Fri Sep 09, 2005 09:01am

That's a very good way of doing it in TN. I like that.

Nevadaref Sat Sep 10, 2005 06:02am

Ok, so if NV used the TN seasons for soccer, the boys would have to choose between soccer and baseball and the girls would select either soccer or volleyball.
I don't see a tremendous improvement here.

There is always some other sport going on in the same season. The kids will always have to make a choice.
Many states have to setup their sports based upon their weather. After that concern is addressed, I've seen an attempt to put similar sports in separate seasons so that the kids with those skills can participate in both.
For example, those states that play HS lacrosse would be well served to play it when it doesn't conflict with soccer.

phatneff Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:14pm

The sad thing is that I forgot about baseball, and I played it in high school! Yeah, I guess it's a no win situation for some people.