The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Just want to poll the masses to pick up the vox populi...

Forward1 delivers a long pass to a teammate running toward the goal, but it has too much steam. A defeneder is running a few strides ahead of forward2, and seeing that the ball is going to her keeper, throws on the brakes and sticks her arms out. Clear case of obstruction, no brainer.

The call is made in your mind, but before the whistle reaches your mouth, after a few more strides, forward2 gives the defend a blatant shove in the back in frustration. You blow your whistle and are on the scene with your yellow card in hand within seconds.

What is your restart?
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 04:18am
Official Forum Member

IFK for the attacking team, caution to the forward for USB.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Why IFK? It should be a direct kick (shove), right? I would think that would be the same restart had you not the shove too. I would have called a hold on the arm being extended, not an obstruction. Of course, you have to "see it" in person to really make your best judgement on the situation. Just my 2 cents worth. I yield to those in the know!
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Art,
First the defender didn't shove anyone, it was the ATTACKER.
Secondly, you can only call a hold if contact is made by the defender. If the defender impedes/obstructs without making contact the correct restart is an IFK.

EJ,
In the USSF publication Advice to Referees on the Laws of the Game your sitch is covered:
"12.32 Sequential Infringements of the Law
If the referee has decided to stop play for an infringement of the Law (foul, misconduct, offside, or other reason) and another infringement of the Law occurs between the making of this decision and the actual signal to stop play, this subsequent violation must be treated as misconduct and handled appropriately."

This manual is downloadable for free from the USSF website.