The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Lacrosse
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I haven't reffed lax in about 4 years now. When I officiated, a team had 10 seconds to clear the ball from its defensive box (NCAA rules), and then there was no count from the top of the defensive box to midfield. While watching the MD/Georgetown NCAA quarterfinal yesterday, however, I heard the announcer mention "20 seconds to get over midfield". Has the rule changed? If so, when? Just curious.
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 11:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I haven't reffed lax in about 4 years now. When I officiated, a team had 10 seconds to clear the ball from its defensive box (NCAA rules), and then there was no count from the top of the defensive box to midfield. While watching the MD/Georgetown NCAA quarterfinal yesterday, however, I heard the announcer mention "20 seconds to get over midfield". Has the rule changed? If so, when? Just curious.
10 seconds to cross half-court only while in a power-play.
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Rule change for this year, you get 20 seconds to cross midfield and you can go back into the defensive box. The 20 seconds is kept via the beeper, black box on officials belt. NCAA only, NFHS is still what you described.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

The NCAA rule changed last year, and the NFHS rule is changing this year (2006). It eliminates the re-entry into the defensive box area as well, as now the team has 20 seconds to clear mid-field. Once the team touches the center line, they have both cleared mid-field and also entered the offensive half of the field, thereby triggering the 10 second count to get the ball into the offensive box. There are also other new rules (NCAA) relating to the offensive game, including flag down situations when the team on offense has been fouled. It's no longer an immediate whistle if they drop the ball while in the offensive box. Play continues until either the defensive team gains possession, or the ball is taken outside the box. There are some other situations as well, but it would probably be easier for you to view them on the US Lacrosse web site. Hope this helps.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

VTref, look at the last post before your post, this is almost a year old thread.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

I saw that SE, just attempting to post more relevant info in the event someone looks at now, like I did.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VTref
I saw that SE, just attempting to post more relevant info in the event someone looks at now, like I did.
Just making sure, a lot of lacrosse referees post over at lacrosseforums.com, take a look over there.