The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 18, 2015, 05:50am
Administrator

I am late in joining the party on this thread but I have a story to tell that will take the cake.

As some of you may know I officiated women's college basketball from 1974 to 2008. When my "intelligent and lovely better half" were first married we lived in Glendale, California, the first two years (1982-84) of our marriage. And I officiated jr. college and college as well as high school basketball in the Los Angeles area during the time.

This was when USC's women's teams won the national championship in 1981-82 and 1982-83 with Cheryl Miller (Reggie's little sister) as USC's star player and Linda McDonald as USC's Head Coach (I have a story about Linda McDonald but I will leave that for another time) and their major rival nationally, league wise, and locally was UCLA. And both of their regular season meetings during the 1981-82 season were televised locally.

None-the-less, at a pre-season women's college officials meeting before the start of regular season, a particular women's college official (a male) gave a presentation about pre-game meetings with one's partner (we were still using two-man (person) crews and still wearing blue and white for games below the what was then Division I level. This particular official officiated the second meeging between USC and UCLA in the 1981-82 season, told us how he and his partner pre-gamed for the second game: The game was an afternoon game and they watched a tape of the game (yeah VCR was modern technology back then) the night before so that they would be ready for anything that could happen in their game the next day. It was all I could do to keep for falling out of my chair and laughing my tuchus off.

I am done know and will go back to bed.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Unless it's nationally televised...you'll probably see more views on YouTube in 48 hours from a shaky cell phone video than msnbc has viewers all year if you really screw something up

Last edited by SNIPERBBB; Tue Nov 24, 2015 at 08:31pm.