The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

I was wondering if there is a written or unwritten policy on acknowledging a coach when questioned? I understand that every comment does not warrant response but as coach find it very disrespectful when a referee does not acknowledge the coaches when properly addressed. I coach soccer and always address the head/center referee as sir or maam. in short I recently coached a game in a tournamet that the referee went the entire game ignoring any question from the sideline. We won the game 4-1, so this isn't necessarily sour grapes. I thought he(in this case) had lost control of the game. The other team had taken exception to us scoring our 4th goal(tournament scoring allows points for goal differential up to 3)and was taking cheap shots and exhibiting dangerous play. This lack of communication between coach and official happened several times this weason but I didn't think anything of it until recently when Larry Brown (Detroit Pistons) complained of similar circumstances. I realize I am not a Hall of Fame coach but I do believe communication is key ( I'm still waiting on J.K.'s 6th volume by the way.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

I will always try to respond to a coach when asked politely and respectfully a question. If it's a comment, I'm running right by you, if you're asking a question like, "what the hell was that??" I'm not answering you, I may even give you a warning.

Now having said that, sometimes it is not possible to stop and talk because play is going on, but if you approach me during a dead ball, I will try and make time to explain a call.

One more exception to this, if a coach is constantly asking me for clarifications, I will tell him that I think I have explained enough of my calls, and because this is slowing down the game will not be explaining anything else.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks Ref 18

Thanks for the reply.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 07:17pm
In Memoriam

Mpritchard,
Welcome to the forum coach.

Some sports lend themselves to down times where an official and a coach may have a quick word. In Hoops, Football and Diamond games those times are numerous.
I did not think of soccer as one of those sports.
Dunno.
mick
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

In past games

Thanks for the response. I agree that soccer is a sport without stopage. You don't know how many times I would of loved to have been able to call a timeout. In many instances after calling to a referee a simple glance of acknowlegment lets me know he has heard my concern. I also understand that like ref18 stated too many of those concerns become too much to try to accomadate through a game. My only question and issue is the officials that will not look at a coach in an effort to communicate. Not knowing some of theses referee's expirience i wonder if their confidence in the way they are calling the game comes into play. I know one of the most respected officials in our area is always one to glance or wave in acknowlegement.Thanks again for the feedback.

Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 09:35pm
In Memoriam

Re: In past games

Quote:
Originally posted by Mpritchard
Not knowing some of theses referee's expirience i wonder if their confidence in the way they are calling the game comes into play. I know one of the most respected officials in our area is always one to glance or wave in acknowlegement.
Mpritchard,
Well there is one constant that you can take to the bank, coach. That is the more experienced official is more aware of the entire venue than is an official with fewer games under his belt.

The newer official may well be concentrating on so many things that he may easily be suffering with brain overload. Thus, any activity, that is not on the field and not directly related to the play at hand, may not even be considered. ...And he has not yet been schooled as to how to blow you off with a wave and a smile.

Have fun with that game, Coach !
[Have you looked at the soccer forum below?]

mick

Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Simple question

Mick- Thanks again for the response. My question was a simple one. Is there written policy on communication with a coach? I coach in Indiana and didn't know if you knew the rules here. I have had different expiriences with officiating crews and was wondering what the "norm" should be. I have coached travel soccer for 8 seasons and have never recieved a card. My players have recieved 1, for jumping in front of a throw in. My question as stated above is also coupled with this, As a referee if a coach sees something dangerous to the kids, detrementental to a the game how do we get the attention of a referee that refuses to look at you.Calling out politely, atleast in 3 occasions has not worked, is there a better way?
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

If the referee is ignoring you, yelling louder usually won't help. Some officials don't like confrontations with coaches and will do what it takes to avoid them. I referee basketball and football, and well basketball it's tough not to acknowledge a coach because you run by him every minute. In football it's easier because you're not always near his bench. But it all depends on the official.

But if he doesn't want to listen to you, don't push it.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Guys

Good replies... I thought I would ask some officials and bounce some ideas.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Coach,
Is the game you are asking about a USSF youth match or a NFHS match?

I referee in both.

USSF no "good time" other than half time to be able to talk to a coach. TLOG state that a coach may approach the touchline to adddress his players with instruction, then return to his technical area. There is no provision in FIFA/USSF for the coach to address the referee at all. That is the accurate "book" answer. Now practicality, If the flow of the game has caused me to be near you I may exhange a few words with you but if play is moving on I am moving on. If you see something truly dangerous respectfully point it out to the Asst. Referee, IF he feels the CR needs the information he can signal the CR.

NFHS, All cautions and ejections require that the CR inform both coaches of the reason. That is a very good time for a few words. At substiutions the NFHS rules state the clock is stopped so aganin I may respond to a coach at that time.

BUT Soccer is a players game not a coaches game. By structure and history of the game the coach is to have very little direct impact during the game itself.
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Few words, big return

"Coach, give me the benefit of the doubt, lets talk about it at half." This has worked well when a coach requests, nicely, to visit about a difference of opinion. The level of play you coach at will have a big impact on the referee's response to your request. Younger youth ages, where you have less experienced referees, will get you no where and you are better to save your input to later. With high school age or higher level of play, hence more experienced refs, your approach has the weight of response. I ignore screamers, dissenters, someone who has no control of their sideline and someone who belittles his players. But, they do get a hand down motion, no fingers involved, to say "I hear you." I have recently been on the touchline waiting for a team to produce a throw-in and the coach stood behind me and acosted me verbally. I ignored and he got worse, I learned to acknowledge, but not give in. Your intent is noble but pick your battles, the best refs know when the game is unsafe, etc....
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref2coach

There is no provision in FIFA/USSF for the coach to address the referee at all. That is the accurate "book" answer.
That is absolutely correct. Now does that mean that I'm not going to talk to the coach? Not at all, just maybe when he/she doesn't find it to be convenient for him/her. Most of the time, coaches won't even address me until play has come to a stop, so it's not a problem. But if they do decide to start talking to me, they will have to wait until the play has come to a stop. Unless of course, they decide to use some "offensive" or "abusive" language. Then I will stop play and send them off or give them a caution.