The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Just noticed my most recent Offcial's Quarterly (Fall 2004). The cover says "This is your last issue." I assumed it was the end of the year and that with my new registration I would begin receiving the OQ again....

I was wrong.

The cover includes the following messages:
"Your state (Idaho) association has elected not to renew its 100% status with NFHS Officials Association. As a former member ... you received the NFHS OQ, along with other benefits..."

"The NFHS would like to offer you continued membership... In addition, your new membership will now include our new, exclusive online services. You'll be able to access NFHS case books and rules books online, permitting you to search by keyword or phrase ..."

They offered a limited time trial until the end of September - I missed it.

My registration fee/cost for NFHS Basketball was the same as previous years, $35,... where is the money that previously went to NFHS now going? Somebody might know. Anybody else's state opting out of 100% status?

The yearly membership cost for 100% status is $30. Online member only is $20 (no insurance or Officials Quarterly magazine).

Did anybody try this online service? Are the case and rule books really out there?

The insurance benefits are greatly enhanced this year (more than double the monetary benefit for loss); the deductible was decreased from $2500 to $1000; etc. General Liability increased from $1 to $2 million if you complete the NFHS Officials Education Program Bronze Level (previously not available)

Not sure what my state is doing but just the benefit of having NFHS case and rule books on line is likely worth the $30 cost for 100% status.

And what the heck is the NFHS Officials Education Program? The Bronze Level? Likely there is a cost associated with this program?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks, Tony.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Just guessing, but I think that the
"education program" [Bronze (?) Level] is the Officiating Principles course offered on-line by ASEP. A sport specific rules & mechanics course [Silver/ Gold (?) Level (???] is available for Softball, and one for Baseball will [allegedly] be available "in Fall, 2004" - it was not available yesterday, however.

Don't know about my state's status w/ NFHS. I get the Quarterly only sporadically, at best.
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Tony,
Pennsylvania opted out for 2005, too. In our case, they told us it was for insurance purposes - that we will be getting better/more insurance coverage through the PIAA than we would through Fed. The presentations I saw at our annual convention seemed to back that up. Maybe your state had the same resoning. And I don't know that I ever got much out of the Official's Quarterly.