The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

I was standing at home plate waiting to say “play ball” on the second day of a youth sports festival (day one was uneventful). All of a sudden a tournament official walks up and asks me to sign a waiver of liability. I was prepared to walk but my partner already signed his waiver, and I do have (NASO) insurance, so I signed and did the game. I have never seen any thing like this in 15 years as a sports official. I’m not sure what made me more angry, the waiver itself or the way in which it was presented.

Comments?
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Do you know exactly what you signed?
Was it a waiver of liabnility [you won't sue anybody if you get hurt]? Or an acknowledgement of liability [folks sue you, not management, if they get hurt]?
Are you sure? And did you get a copy?

My advice to clients is NEVER sign anything that gets "sprung" on you at the last minute; or which you can't read and consider in detail, or of which you do not get a copy.

BTW, some "waiver" of liability forms have the potential to mess up your insurance coverages. Most ins. cos do not like their insureds to "settle" or "waive" actual or potential claims without the ins. co's input.

In the end, I guess it depends some on what kind of arrangement you had with the tournament. Most of the tourneys I do, I get assigned by my Commissioner, and my assn. has a contract with the group putting on the tourney. If I was approached like this, my response would be to tell 'em to talk to my assignor, but I'm not signing doodly on the field.

--Carter
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Words to live by. Thanks. Note, the assignor did not know this was going to happen. I would never accept a tournament or league to assign if liability waivers where a requirement to work.