The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   General / Off-Topic (https://forum.officiating.com/general-off-topic/)
-   -   Tax Time (https://forum.officiating.com/general-off-topic/100614-tax-time.html)

Scooby Mon Jan 04, 2016 05:36pm

Tax Time

I am planning on doing my own taxes this year using turbotax. would any one know which product will work for an official? Deluxe, Premier or Home and Business?

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Jan 04, 2016 07:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 975124)
I am planning on doing my own taxes this year using turbotax. would any one know which product will work for an official? Deluxe, Premier or Home and Business?

They'll all work.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 04, 2016 09:04pm

AS long as the product has a schedule C (and SE), you're all set.

Scooby Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:34pm

Thanks a lot.

chapmaja Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 975137)
AS long as the product has a schedule C (and SE), you're all set.

I have used turbotax for my taxes in recent years.

It can get complicated when doing taxes as an official. I know some officials who simply claim the money earned as additional income, and pay the taxes on it. I know others (myself included) who claim their officiating income as a business and as a result pay SE taxes (but also have a much easier time claiming deductions).

JeffM Fri Apr 08, 2016 08:51pm

Tax Mileage Deduction Questions

I am using TaxAct for my taxes.

I am asked to input the following:

Business miles driven during 2015:

Commuting miles (not deductible):

Other personal miles (not deductible):

I drove about 400 extra miles for games. I drove about 10,000 miles for my 8-5 job and an extra 8,000 miles for other stuff.

On the slides that follow, I get asked questions about how much money I paid in interest.

Should I put "0" for commuting miles and "18,000" for other personal miles. Or, should I put "10,000" for commuting miles and "8,000" for personal miles?

I'm just trying to do it right; I'm not trying to figure out how to pay the least taxes.

Thanks!

JeffM Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:25pm

Thanks to all who contributed to the old threads. I was reading through the old threads and came across this link:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p46...blink100033930

What I am now planning to do is the following:

Weekdays without games: Home -> Work -> Home = Personal Miles

Weekends with games: Home -> Gym -> Home = Commuting Miles

Weekdays with games: Home -> Work = Commuting Miles
Work -> Gym = Business Miles
Gym -> Home = Commuting Miles

Does that make sense?

Another Questions: I got paid in March 2015 for games worked from Dec 2014 to March 2015. I got paid in Nov 2015 for games worked from March 2015 to Oct 2015. Should I deduct miles from Dec 2014 through Nov 2015 (I think so) or from Jan 2015 though Dec 2015?

Welpe Sat Apr 09, 2016 01:22am

This is why I have somebody to do my taxes. :)

bob jenkins Sat Apr 09, 2016 07:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffM (Post 986078)
Thanks to all who contributed to the old threads. I was reading through the old threads and came across this link:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p46...blink100033930

What I am now planning to do is the following:

Weekdays without games: Home -> Work -> Home = Personal Miles

Weekends with games: Home -> Gym -> Home = Commuting Miles

Weekdays with games: Home -> Work = Commuting Miles
Work -> Gym = Business Miles
Gym -> Home = Commuting Miles

Does that make sense?

Another Questions: I got paid in March 2015 for games worked from Dec 2014 to March 2015. I got paid in Nov 2015 for games worked from March 2015 to Oct 2015. Should I deduct miles from Dec 2014 through Nov 2015 (I think so) or from Jan 2015 though Dec 2015?

No, it does not make sense.

home -> work -> home is commuting miles.

home ->run errands (go on vacation, gop out to dinner, etc) are personal miles

Deduct the miles in the year they were driven.

Add the income in the year it was received.

JeffM Sat Apr 09, 2016 09:43am

Thanks!

JeffM Sun Apr 10, 2016 07:44pm

How should I report miles and tolls driven for camps?

I went from home --> work --> camp on Friday

I returned camp -->home on Sunday

Altor Sun Apr 10, 2016 09:28pm

IANATP (I am not a tax professional).

Unless you are able to deduct home office expenses, I believe the IRS would tell you that you can only deduct the mileage and tolls from work to camp in that situation.

But, since I assume you rested somewhere between Friday and Sunday, you should be able to deduct your meals and lodging (or use the per diem amount).

JeffM Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:16am

Thanks Altor!

Welpe Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 986124)
IANATP (I am not a tax professional).

Unless you are able to deduct home office expenses, I believe the IRS would tell you that you can only deduct the mileage and tolls from work to camp in that situation.

But, since I assume you rested somewhere between Friday and Sunday, you should be able to deduct your meals and lodging (or use the per diem amount).

My understanding is different and it has nothing to do with a home office. That said, I let my tax person worry about it.

bob jenkins Mon Apr 11, 2016 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffM (Post 986122)
How should I report miles and tolls driven for camps?

I went from home --> work --> camp on Friday

I returned camp -->home on Sunday

I, too, am not a tax professional, but I would deduct thee entire home-work-camp-home mileage, less whatever your normal commute is. (So, if you normally drive to work, and that's 20 miles round trip, and the entire mileage is 150 miles, then deduct 130 miles).