The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

A has ball 4th and 10 from A's 40. A12 runs to the B 48 where he is tackled. After the play and before the ready for play, a UC call on A. Do we have 1 @ 10 from the A 37, or 1 @ 25?

Football is like life, it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
--Vince Lombardi
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

1st down, then administer the USC penalty.

1st and 10 for A from the A 37 yard line.

Unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are administered like dead-ball fouls. Therefore, before you administer the USC penalty, you first determine if A is awarded a new series of downs. Then you administer all dead ball fouls prior to the ready for play. Then set the chains 1st and 10.

Oh, by the way, if an USC foul occurs during a live ball its still administered as a dead-ball foul from the succeeding spot.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

5-3-1, penalties for fouls committed prior to the ready for play shall be administered prior before the line to gain is established. Also see 5-1-2-b

In your example, the line to gain has not been established since the RFP was not given. A has made a first down and then there is a dead ball foul, so the new line to gain is not set until the penalty is enforced.
A's ball 1/10 @A-37
Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Schultj, this is a rule change from 1998. Prior to that year, it would have been 1st & 25.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Sep 05, 2003, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

In an 8th grade game last year we had a similar call. We ran it the way the rules say (and as you all have described), but it felt wrong.

A made a first down, and had been playing hurry-up. I (umpire) had spotted the ball, and was still standing over the ball waiting for the chains to set. Referee already behind the line and the offense set up on the ball ready to go. LJ had only the down marker set and was waiting for his chain kids to catch up. (No huge delay - maybe 7-8 seconds between my spotting the ball and the next action). The QB or RB (I didn't hear which - ref did) says "Hurry the F--- up, ref!", prompting an UC from the ref.

We backed them up 15, and reset the chains because the foul happened before the RFP. Opposing coach was pissed, wanting 1st and 25. And all rules aside, it felt wrong giving them 1st and 10, with the wide separation between the end of play and the actual foul. But that's just what we did.

Side note - I was overly surprised the kid wasn't tossed.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 05, 2003, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

You got it right.

Here, he would have been ejected. Any profanity directed toward an official results in an ejection. You probably would have done him a favor by tossing him, considering he's only in the 8th grade.
Old Fri Sep 05, 2003, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

mbcrowder

The first and 25 would have been only if the foul was after the ready for play. Ejection would have been appropriate.

I agree it seems like 1st and 25 would feel better, but I'd feel better if there was an ejection and the correct enforcement which was 1st and 10.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2003, 09:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

1D/10 in Canada.