The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

I had a team attempt a 70 yard field goal last week. They had two botched punts earlier in the game and I guess the coach decided "What the heck....why not?" My question to the group is this : Where do the back judge and Line Judge line up at for this play? I had watched the kicker in warm-ups and had a pretty good idea that he couldn't boot one from that distance. The kick ended up going about 35 yards where R picked the ball up and advanced it 10 yards before being tackled by K. I (BJ) got into normal punt depth to make sure we had appropriate coverage....however, several officals in my association felt that we (BJ & LJ) should have been under the uprights to tell if the attempt was good. My argument against that is who is going to cover the return man, PSK, etc ? Thoughts and comments are welcomed.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

On our crew, we would have just sent the back judge back.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

A 70 yard FG has never been kicked in the NFL, much less high school. There's no reason for anybody to be under the goal posts.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
A 70 yard FG has never been kicked in the NFL, much less high school. There's no reason for anybody to be under the goal posts.
Well you are right. The record for NFL is 63 yards. The record for NCAA is 65 yards without a tee and 67 yards with a tee. The record for high school is 68 yards.

The BJ should be in position to rule on the GL but also able to rule on the goal posts just in case. I am surprised that it is not done more in high school because if it is no good it is just like a punt and can be downed at the one by K. NCAA and NFL put it back at the point of the snap or point of the kick. I was a kicker in high school and college and looking back I could have easily gotten 40 to 50 yards on a kick from a hold but our punter was lucky to get 35 yards.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

Well you are right. The record for NFL is 63 yards. The record for NCAA is 65 yards without a tee and 67 yards with a tee. The record for high school is 68 yards.

[/B][/QUOTE]Interesting that both the H.S and collage records for field goals are longer then the pros. But seeing as how the pros play on a much bigger field I guess that's to be expected
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 10:15am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Talking What does this do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
Quote:
Aren't these numbers also the progression of the number of home runs hit in a single season lately? That being said, perhaps a 70 yard FG is possible?
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Re: What does this do?

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Quote:
Aren't these numbers also the progression of the number of home runs hit in a single season lately? That being said, perhaps a 70 yard FG is possible?
Might not look good if the player suddenly got an adrenlaine rush and it barely made or missed it. And, no official was there to adquately witness the record.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I'd send the BJ to the goal posts to rule on if it crossed the bar. The LJ could be close to the return man to cover him and for end of kick bean bagging and also rule on whether the ball passed between the uprights.

Are those home run records with or without steroids?

(A Roger Maris fan.)
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am surprised that it is not done more in high school because if it is no good it is just like a punt and can be downed at the one by K.
FGA are more easily blocked than punts.

Also, with regards to the NFL, the ball comes back to the previous spot if it's missed, doesn't it?

Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, with regards to the NFL, the ball comes back to the previous spot if it's missed, doesn't it? [/B]
No. That was changed a few years ago so after a miss where the spot of the kick was outside of the 20 the ball is placed at the spot of the kick. Inside the 20 goes to the 20.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

College and HS uprights have been wider for a long time, too. College and NFL are now equal but the HS is still 23'4".

So a 70 yard attempt is from the K40, right? If he hasn't reached the EZ on kickoffs, no reason to think he's gonna put one through the end zone with a shorter runup and a rush.

Easier to fake out of a FG formation than a punt, too.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
College and HS uprights have been wider for a long time, too. College and NFL are now equal but the HS is still 23'4".

So a 70 yard attempt is from the K40, right? If he hasn't reached the EZ on kickoffs, no reason to think he's gonna put one through the end zone with a shorter runup and a rush.

Easier to fake out of a FG formation than a punt, too.
I never take anything for granted, especially, after this game. I was line judge on a 4-man crew when the referee signaled for me to go under for a field goal. Ball was at B's 40 and I'm thinking...not gonna happen. There was no wind, so why bother.

Snap goes and here it comes. My God! It sails over the goal post with 10-yards to spare. A New York State record at the time -- 57 yards.

Kicker never comes close the rest of the game. The record is subsequently broken later in the season by another kicker.

Next season, same team, only this time LOS is B's 45. I was ready. Sixty-two yards.

Problem was the kicker was erratic. Great distance but not always accurate. But not erratic enough to keep him from kicking a 90-yard punt in college and something like 10 years in the NFL, now punting for the Carolina Panthers.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 10:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
Problem was the kicker was erratic. Great distance but not always accurate. But not erratic enough to keep him from kicking a 90-yard punt in college and something like 10 years in the NFL, now punting for the Carolina Panthers. [/B]
...And now you know... the rest of the story.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Also, with regards to the NFL, the ball comes back to the previous spot if it's missed, doesn't it?
No. That was changed a few years ago so after a miss where the spot of the kick was outside of the 20 the ball is placed at the spot of the kick. Inside the 20 goes to the 20. [/B]
Actually, that's what I meant but the NF terminology kicked in. Thanks.

Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

I tried a seventy yard fg in high school and had two refs on either goal posts...course i had made a fifty seven and a sixty one yarder already....ball hit the cross bar...

seems like that should break hte sixty eight yard record since it actually hit the cross bar...haha...

you can see video of the sixty one yarder at this website....

http://www.thedigitalvideoguy.com

click on about, then click on see playing days....