The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Oklahoma Playoffs -- Update (https://forum.officiating.com/football/98802-oklahoma-playoffs-update.html)

CT1 Tue Dec 09, 2014 09:05am

Oklahoma Playoffs -- Update

Interesting article from the NYT, citing previous court cases:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/09/sp...-playoffs.html

HLin NC Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:02am

If it drags on, just vacate the title and don't declare a winner for that division. Between exams, holidays, and winter sports, at some point football has to end.

I love how the judge acknowledges skepticism yet grants an injunction.

Kicking the can down the road.

Rich Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:14am

If I were Oklahoma, I'd be figuring out how to comply with any injunction while still not giving Douglass anything they want.

Robert Goodman Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:01pm

Since they're so serious about football in Oklahoma, next time there's a legal dispute, they should settle it by a football game.

CT1 Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 946170)
If it drags on, just vacate the title and don't declare a winner for that division.

I suspect the team that is already in the finals would have a HUGE problem with that. :rolleyes:

ajmc Tue Dec 09, 2014 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 946172)
If I were Oklahoma, I'd be figuring out how to comply with any injunction while still not giving Douglass anything they want.

Not a bad idea, but today the prevailing wisdom seems to be give any squeaking wheels all the oil they demand, regardless of what effect it may have on how overall, things actually work.

PATRICK Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:17pm

“Adults in a split second can negate months and years of hard work by kids,” Keith Sinor, the athletic director of Oklahoma City public schools, said Monday. “Our kids shouldn’t be held accountable for those mistakes — especially in a situation where they can be corrected.”

With that logic, If a coach makes a mistake, we could replay it too.

Rich Ives Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PATRICK (Post 946331)
“Adults in a split second can negate months and years of hard work by kids,” Keith Sinor, the athletic director of Oklahoma City public schools, said Monday. “Our kids shouldn’t be held accountable for those mistakes — especially in a situation where they can be corrected.”

With that logic, If a coach makes a mistake, we could replay it too.

So calling what turns out to be a play that didn't work is the same as misapplying a rule and its penalty?

This case seems kinda like getting convicted for running a green light and not being able to appeal it.

PATRICK Wed Dec 10, 2014 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 946336)
So calling what turns out to be a play that didn't work is the same as misapplying a rule and its penalty?

This case seems kinda like getting convicted for running a green light and not being able to appeal it.

The rule wasn't misapplied, the enforcement was.

But, I digress. I'm addressing this: “Adults in a split second can negate months and years of hard work by kids,” Keith Sinor, the athletic director of Oklahoma City public schools, said Monday. “Our kids shouldn’t be held accountable for those mistakes — especially in a situation where they can be corrected.”

As I said in my earlier post, With that logic, If a coach makes a mistake, we could replay it too.

MD Longhorn Wed Dec 10, 2014 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 946336)

More like getting convicted for running a red light (he DID commit the infraction he was being penalized for), and getting fined $300 instead of the $75 it says on the back of the ticket.

But in any case, it's idiotic to me that this case ever moved forward. Refs make mistakes. Appealing one after the game is over (one you didn't even appeal on the field when it happened) and insisting the game get replayed from that point is idiotic. They might as well replay every single game ever.

Rich Wed Dec 10, 2014 04:38pm

Douglass-Locust Grove: Police report released in incident involving HS football official, Douglass fan | News OK

PATRICK Wed Dec 10, 2014 05:06pm

I'm waiting to see what the results of the 1:30 hearing are. I keep checking Google every five minutes!

Rich Wed Dec 10, 2014 05:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PATRICK (Post 946395)
I'm waiting to see what the results of the 1:30 hearing are. I keep checking Google every five minutes!

You can stop. The judge won't announce until 10AM CST tomorrow.

APG Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:25am

Douglass-Locust Grove: Judge denies Douglass' request for injunction | News OK

And here's a PDF of the filing from the judge:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/content.new...AADouglass.pdf

Rich Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 946451)

The judge used some very, very good words and phrases here.

Bravo to him. He gets it.