The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 30, 2014, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

illegal man downfield on botched, but successful punt

I didn't hear any explanation of a botched punt the other night on Thanksgiving when the Seattle punter dropped the snap, ran around to the right and eventually got the punt off. I would think an illegal man downfield would be likely on such a play, but there was no flag. Does the botched snap negate the possibility of illegal MDF?
Old Sun Nov 30, 2014, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

There are 2 methods that've been used over the 40 yrs. this rule has been in effect that teams have used to avoid being ineligibly downfield. One is timing, and that one is vulnerable to give up fouls in cases like this. The other is to wait to hear the ball being kicked.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2014, 11:34pm
Archaic Power Monger

I believe that rule is no longer in effect if the kicker runs outside of the tackle box.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorzeny012 View Post
I didn't hear any explanation of a botched punt the other night on Thanksgiving when the Seattle punter dropped the snap, ran around to the right and eventually got the punt off. I would think an illegal man downfield would be likely on such a play, but there was no flag. Does the botched snap negate the possibility of illegal MDF?
Negative...rule is still in effect
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

As is the case ALWAYS, it depends on which rules code you're referring to.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 10:18am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
As is the case ALWAYS, it depends on which rules code you're referring to.
I think it's pretty clear that this post is about an NFL game.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 10:20am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Negative...rule is still in effect
And I stand corrected.

I will say that NFL teams are pretty disciplined in not taking off down field until the call has been made by a teammate that the ball has been kicked or the play is blown.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 01:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm still amazed at how many HS *head* coaches think this is a rule at the HS level.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 09:36pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
I'm still amazed at how many HS *head* coaches think this is a rule at the HS level.
And a better one. About 10 years ago, we had a school whose coach decided he could draw a DPI by faking a punt and throwing a high, almost straight up in the air pass. Unfortunately, he forgot about the ineligible player rule. Once they even committed OPI. (I got the honor of flagging that one) He quit trying to run it.