The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   USC - TD celebration (https://forum.officiating.com/football/98706-usc-td-celebration.html)

MTUMP Mon Nov 24, 2014 08:21pm

USC - TD celebration

I've been around 20 years, but haven't quite seen a TD celebration as I did this weekend. During the end of the Montana AA Championship game this past weekend, with the score out of hand, the winning home team scored a TD.

The RB who scored came over to the opponents pylon (goal line) and straddled it between his legs. Another three teammates game in and straddled behind him...much like they were riding a toboggan. They then imitated a 4-man bobsled team, complete with synchronized lean-in turns and shaky heads as they 'barreled down the run' (i.e. see Cool Runnings).

We had two flags (HL and BJ), and though it brought a cheer to the home crowd- our State High School Association FB Director (watching about 20 yds away on that sideline) was not amused...and seemed to indicate he wouldn't have minded seeing 4 USC penalties on the play (one per participant). We enforced just one USC penalty......Thoughts on penalizing each participant of a USC celebrations vs. one penalty?

InsideTheStripe Mon Nov 24, 2014 08:37pm

I'm not penalizing all of them individually. One foul.

chapmaja Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:49pm

I agree, one foul. It was one act even if it included more than 1 participant.

Now, what are the rules on taunting, and could any of the actions been considered taunting. I know some places emphasis taunting as an electable offense and really push for ejections for taunting. Considering this was on the losing teams side (or so I read), could it be considered taunting.

NDRef Tue Nov 25, 2014 03:43pm

High School football....extension of the classroom, etc.

4 players committing UNC deserves 4 flags. What difference does it make that it is the "same act". They each individually made a decision to commit the foul and by rule dead ball fouls are enforced in order. If we only penalize one the result is that the other fouls are okay (even encouraged since no consequence).

Why would we NOT have penalties on each player that committed an act against the rules and apply the penalty as defined in the rule book?

jTheUmp Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:16pm

Absent any casebook play, specific directive from the Powers That Be(tm), or unusual game situation (specific bad blood previously between the two teams, previous UNS fouls in the game, etc), I'm treating it as a single foul.

Scuba_ref Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:33am

USC is a two strikes and you are out rule - in this case which of the four participants are you giving the first strike to?

bwburke94 Wed Nov 26, 2014 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_ref (Post 944820)
USC is a two strikes and you are out rule - in this case which of the four participants are you giving the first strike to?

Probably the player who scored the TD.

InsideTheStripe Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_ref (Post 944820)

In this case, the bobsled driver.

SWFLguy Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:22am

Makes me wonder where the kids got the idea. Hope their coach was not happy too.

Rich Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:15pm

One flag, one foul.

I would not miss this one, but I would not be "that guy" either.

ReverendRef Thu Nov 27, 2014 06:09pm

I used to officiate in MT (now in OR). Where was this?

MTUMP Mon Dec 01, 2014 08:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReverendRef (Post 944911)
I used to officiate in MT (now in OR). Where was this?

Kalispell.....the new high school (Glacier) beat CM Russell....for their first title every and the first one in Kalispell since 1980.