The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 23, 2014, 11:20pm
In Time Out

Jameis Winston

Jameis Winston's contact with official did not warrant unsportsmanlike penalty, ACC says - ESPN

What are your thoughts on both the on-field actions and ACC response?

To me I don't see how there wasn't a flag thrown, and I would have supported an ejection.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 12:10am
Do not give a damn!!

I said this before and I will say this here. If this was another player, we would not be discussing this issue. We have a newer mechanic that has no standardization it appears that caused this issue if you ask me. I did not see an issue. I did not see the reaction from the official that showed he was put off by the situation. And as usual high school (only) officials seem to love to compare what happens with them to what happens at a higher level. That is mistake number one if you ask me.

I think the ACC did the right thing.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Pfttttt, yuck, I agree with rut! That hurt!
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 08:53am
Chain of Fools

Winston makes Jimbo look like a tool. Nobody at FSU as the cajones to do anything with him.

College officials are too job scared to make an issue out of it. You can argue about comparing situations but we have no rule in HS ball holding the U over the ball anyway.

I don't see too many HS umpires allowing a kid to put their hands on them and doing absolutely nothing about it. Of course the white hat could have stepped in and helped out by blowing it dead but then I guess Jimbo is raising hell at him then.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 09:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Winston makes Jimbo look like a tool. Nobody at FSU as the cajones to do anything with him.

College officials are too job scared to make an issue out of it. You can argue about comparing situations but we have no rule in HS ball holding the U over the ball anyway.

I don't see too many HS umpires allowing a kid to put their hands on them and doing absolutely nothing about it. Of course the white hat could have stepped in and helped out by blowing it dead but then I guess Jimbo is raising hell at him then.
First of all this is not HS. I do not care what HS officials would or would not do, because many HS officials would get themselves in a lot of trouble doing the things they do at the college ranks. And this is not about a particular player. I would not call this on any player based on the mechanics and based off of that level. For one I have never seen an official ever do what this guy did. Maybe that is because there is not a standardization of that 8th official or Center Judge, but not sure why he needed to stand right in the way of the center, substitution or not. I have seen umpires in 7 man stand over the ball, but never physically prevent a player from moving into an area or under center. And that IMO cause part of the problem and the official never reacted like he was offended or put off by the contact. If he was, then that is another story. But he also knows what was said to the Winston and his response. None of us here know what was said either way and that would affect my opinion of this situation if the right words were used.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry. This is absurd. He put his hands on an official and pushed. 15 yards. You want to waive the ejection because it was not unsportsmanlike, fine... but this is a penalty all day, every day, at any level.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

It was not in anger or disrespect, the official looked to be just as confused as the QB did as to why it was happening. It was not intentional and none of the other zebras saw a problem, they were muttering get the hell out of his way, dumbass!
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 10:12am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I'm sorry. This is absurd. He put his hands on an official and pushed. 15 yards. You want to waive the ejection because it was not unsportsmanlike, fine... but this is a penalty all day, every day, at any level.
If it was a penalty at every level, why was no flag thrown and the conference said the official was not offended or put off by the contact? You telling me every contact we have with a player is a penalty? Yep, I when I see that that technically, I will believe you. I have seen officials break up players from each other and not throw a single flag when the player reacted or had to be "calmed down." That was not even the case here.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Insisting on punishing a player for a situation, BECAUSE of who he is, is just as bad as NOT punishing a player, BECAUSE of who he is. The official involved didn't look like a rookie, and we should presume his working at the level game suggests an ability to deal with varied situations.

If he felt threatened, disrespected, or otherwise violated, he had the tools to deal with any of that at his disposal. It seems only the official and the player knew what was said, or why something was said, and neither seemed to be overly distracted by what was said.

"Much ado about nothing".
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Doug Rhoads, the ACC's coordinator of officials, said in a statement Sunday:"The center judge's positioning, which was due to the experimental year of having an eighth official, combined with the late substitution and by rule the need to allow the defense to matchup, led to contact between himself and the player. The official believed the contact was incidental and insignificant and did not rise to the level of unsportsmanlike conduct and automatic disqualification."
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 11:00am
Chain of Fools

If the Center Judge believed that contact was incidental, he's got bigger issues. Pure and simple, he wussed out. And I don't care what Rut cares about HS officials. The NFL takes a pretty stern view of contacting an official too. So plain and simple, NCAA officials by and large are too worried about hanging on to the conference they are in or moving up to the next one. Conference commissioners are scared of the coaches too.

You've either got the balls to make the call and live with the consequences or you don't from youth league up to the big boys.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 11:02am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
If it was a penalty at every level, why was no flag thrown and the conference said the official was not offended or put off by the contact?
CYA chicken$#!tz too afraid to bite the hand that feeds them.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 11:05am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
You've either got the balls to make the call and live with the consequences or you don't from youth league up to the big boys.
Amen. And it seems the bigger the game, the smaller the testes. Bush push being the prime example.

But at least somebody had the cajones in the ND/FSU game to call OPI. So the ACC is batting .500 on big calls.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Whether you believe the player should have been ejected or not, it's real easy, sitting from your seat on Saturday, to accuse officials of not having the balls, testes, cojones, fortitude, (insert noun here to denote bravery) to eject (and while no one straight up said it, it's been implied).

Want to discuss the merits of an ejection? Fine...keep it to that.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 11:29am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
:
Whether you believe the player should have been ejected or not, it's real easy, sitting from your seat on Saturday, to accuse officials of not having the balls, testes, cojones, fortitude, (insert noun here to donate bravery) to eject (and while no one straight up said it, it's been implied).
Bah. We have big games at the HS level too (granted, not AS big). And there are pressures there as well. I agree with HL, you gotta have frijoles no matter the level.