The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Conferences (https://forum.officiating.com/football/98573-conferences.html)

Suudy Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:35pm

Conferences

There are 2 types of authorized conferences (NFHS): sideline and on the field. My understanding is that the onfield one can only be used during a charged timeout. But a sideline one can be used during any timeout including an officials timeout. True?

JRutledge Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:35am

You are really confusing the issue. There are two types of conferences that can be taken when there is a charged timeout. One is in the in the middle of the field where only one coach can participate. The other is by the sideline or inside the numbers more than 11 players and more than one coach can participate.

If there is an official's timeout, then a coach cannot come onto the field (just like a penalty or to move the chains, which are also an official's timeouts) a coach cannot just come onto the field.

Peace

CT1 Fri Oct 31, 2014 08:05am

In addition, any (or all) players may come to the sideline between plays or during an official's TO. However, as Rut mentioned, the coach must stay off the field.

We are fairly lenient with this, as long as the coach isn't causing any problems.

Suudy Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:54am

Now that I have my rule book handy, I found the reference I was talking about last night: 3-5-8
Art. 8 ... Authorized conferences
  1. An authorized conference may be held during:
    1. a charged time-out;
    2. an official's time-out (3-5-7g, 3-5-7k and 3-5-7l); or
    3. if granted by the referee in 3-5-10
  2. Only one type of authorized team conference may be used during:
    1. any charged time-out; or
    2. official's time out (3-5-7g, 3-5-7k and 3-5-7l)
  3. Only an Outside 9-Yard Mark Conference may be held in 3-5-8a(3)
So the particular cases where a sideline ("Outside 9-Yard Mark Conference") are permitted during an official's timeout are "unusual heat or humidity" (3-5-7g), media timeout (3-5-7k), intermissions after the try and at quarter changes (3-5-7l), and injuries (3-5-10). It is the last one that I was particularly interested in.

Last night we had a an injury, the coach on my sideline called his players over and the WH stopped them and said they had to remain between the numbers and that the coach could not come on the field. In the post-game I disagreed, remembering this same argument years ago with another WH. But, after re-reading things, looks like we are both wrong. In 3-5-8a(3) it says "if granted by the referee." So our WH didn't need to allow the conference. But also, there is no requirement that the team stay between the numbers. As CT1 pointed out, as long as the coach stays off the field, all 11 of the team can come over to the sidelines.

HLin NC Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:23am

One or two years ago, the Federation material that comes out over the spring and summer off their web site indicated that in the event of an injury we should move teams over to their sidelines during an official timeout for injury. They are entitled to have a conference during that period. As CT1 mentioned, we don't get real antsy about if the coach(es) strays off the sideline during this time.

Some WH's are heavier-handed than others. Some I've worked with forget we are supposed to do it.

JRutledge Fri Oct 31, 2014 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 942736)
One or two years ago, the Federation material that comes out over the spring and summer off their web site indicated that in the event of an injury we should move teams over to their sidelines during an official timeout for injury. They are entitled to have a conference during that period. As CT1 mentioned, we don't get real antsy about if the coach(es) strays off the sideline during this time.

Some WH's are heavier-handed than others. Some I've worked with forget we are supposed to do it.

Anytime we have a prolonged injury, we send players to the sideline. It just makes it easy to not have conflict over what can or cannot be done at that time.

Peace

Tom.OH Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:12am

In Ohio, the teams go inside the numbers during an injury timeout, away from the injured player.