The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Hand Signals (https://forum.officiating.com/football/98449-hand-signals.html)

KevinP Mon Sep 29, 2014 08:42am

Hand Signals

Looking for any info regarding ref hand signals used for communicating, non verbally, with the crew, ie, fists up signaling 11 on field, etc.. thanks

JRutledge Mon Sep 29, 2014 09:06am

This is going to very by crew, association and state and even level. Even something like an 11 count, some variations of it I have seen.

On my crew for a count we have a fist (no thumb). For more we put out 2 fingers. For under 11 we have all 5 fingers out. ButI have worked with other crews that do things slightly different.

Peace

Sturno Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:02am

Straight out arm with extended closed fist for 11.

Thumb up with fist for 12 or more on field.
Thumb down with fist for 10 or less on field.

Wings have their own system with extended arms toward midfield or toward pertinent goal lines, referencing their closest player being on or off the LOS. I've seen some use 2 arms, indicating one on - next one off, for trips or multiples to one side.

HLin NC Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:25am

As Rut said, too many to mention. I worked in a group early on that had me feeling like a 3rd base coach.

Now its fairly simple for us-

Arm back for receiver off the line.
Fist down for 11 on defense. R&U fist up for 11 on offense.
Fist up above shoulder level for wings "4 in the backfield" count.
Arms down, palms back- OOB, arms down palms out, in bounds.

That's it for us.

bigjohn Thu Oct 02, 2014 07:51am

It is silly that different crews use different signals for this type of communication, should be standard mechanics.

Rich Thu Oct 02, 2014 08:27am

Fist for 11.

As an association, we agreed that thumbs were not easy enough to see.

Both hands with 5 fingers on the chest for 10-. One finger with 2 for 12+. Usually a verbal of some kind (calling out their names) to emphasize to the other officials.

John, the signals are for us. As long as the crew on the field knows and responds appropriately, why would you care?

bigjohn Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:00am

I don't care, just seems silly!

Reffing Rev. Thu Oct 02, 2014 01:39pm

Ones I haven't heard anyone mention yet.

Our crew uses a ton of signals to communicate between us...mostly because I turn deaf when I put on stripes.

Arms crossed in X in front of body - more than 10 yards for 1st Down
Fists pounded on top of each other - Clock stops after this play. (4th down)
Arms crossed below the waist (optional snapping of fingers) - clock starts on the snap.
Rolling finger - wind the clock on the ready.
One hand on the hip - Offense is waiting for the play-clock (usually R putting his hand on the belt where BJ has his "ready-ref")
Waving a hand underneath 1 finger - Less than 1 minute left on the clock. (usually between BJ and R, when echoed we both point at the official who has the clock)
Waving a hand underneath a snapping finger - Play clock is off
L shaped fingers - L(ong) goal line, wings stay ahead to goal line.
BJ or R pointing at pylons - wing move to pylon on snap.
BJ or R with hand on chest - "My goal line"
"T" shape with hands - Kicking tee coming on the field, assume field goal positioning.
Tapping the Nose - "I smell something" - trick play coming

There might be some others that are situational and I can't think of them sitting at my computer now. Maybe I should go put on a striped shirt.

JRutledge Fri Oct 03, 2014 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 940970)
It is silly that different crews use different signals for this type of communication, should be standard mechanics.

No. Just like friends communicate differently based on who they are talking to, it is for the crew, not for you or anyone else. All that matters is they understand their communication. And many things are not standard in this area, because not every crew wants or needs to communicate the same things.

Peace

Sturno Fri Oct 03, 2014 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 941033)
No. Just like friends communicate differently based on who they are talking to, it is for the crew, not for you or anyone else. All that matters is they understand their communication. And many things are not standard in this area, because not every crew wants or needs to communicate the same things.

Peace

Agreed.

I sat in really good seats at the Packers/Vikings game last night and watched a lot of the officials' communication. I would assume they all have a standard that they're forced to abide by on signals. That said, they mimicked a lot of what has been discussed here, outside of the wings. A lot of boom mics being worn by the crewmembers...interesting.

Forksref Sat Oct 04, 2014 06:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 941033)

Peace

About 5 years ago, our association decided to standardize our unofficial signals. This helps when we have crew members fill in on other crews. It has worked pretty well, but it is most important that within each crew the signals are consistent and understood by all.

JRutledge Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref (Post 941050)
About 5 years ago, our association decided to standardize our unofficial signals. This helps when we have crew members fill in on other crews. It has worked pretty well, but it is most important that within each crew the signals are consistent and understood by all.

And that is fine, but what about the things that a crew might signal to each other that not every crew decides needs to be communicated?

Also, wouldn't a good pre-game help you with that communication? Because what if a crew has a different philosophy on certain types of communication?

My point is simple, having worked with many different crews, there are things that almost no other crew might do or want to communicate, probably based off of some hole or situation that happened to that crew. I do not see how you can standardize every signal that a crew might use. Nothing wrong with some signals being standardized, but I know of many things crews do that are so unique or the concern of the crew chief, they communicate things another crew would never think of.

Peace

bigjohn Mon Oct 06, 2014 06:39am

In Ohio officials are Evaluated and are told what signals to use Mechanics are on p22

check out #3 on page 5

http://ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/Offi...dsHandbook.pdf

Rich Mon Oct 06, 2014 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 941101)
In Ohio officials are Evaluated and are told what signals to use Mechanics are on p22

check out #3 on page 5

The more I hear about the Gold Book and the micromanaging the state does at a ridiculous level on HS officials, the more I'm glad I live elsewhere.

You keep on enjoying your standards. I'll keep enjoying the fact that ours are different.

JRutledge Mon Oct 06, 2014 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 941101)

check out #3 on page 5

Good for them. And I do not live there, so I really do not care what they do there either.

Peace