The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   A little something extra on the extra point (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/football/98428-little-something-extra-extra-point-video.html)

JasonLJ Tue Sep 23, 2014 08:50am

A little something extra on the extra point (Video)

Dell Rapids vs Milbank - Wild Extra Point - YouTube

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/YxDdGASwvpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MD Longhorn Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:16am

I think that on the field, I would rule this good as well.

But it's not. It's no more good than if someone attempted a 60 yarder, and a defender tried to catch it 8 yards deep and it came down, bounced off off his helmet and over.

If the "blocker" had been of the offensive side of the LOS, it would be good. He's not. It's not good.

Robert Goodman Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 940542)

But it's not. It's no more good than if someone attempted a 60 yarder, and a defender tried to catch it 8 yards deep and it came down, bounced off off his helmet and over.

If the "blocker" had been of the offensive side of the LOS, it would be good. He's not. It's not good.

Could you please explain why that made a difference?

AFAIK, a kick doesn't end until it comes into a player's possession or the ball becomes dead. On an attempt at goal, a kick doesn't become dead (even in Fed on a try) beyond the goal line until it scores or will obviously fail to score.

I know of no American or Canadian football code where this has ever in hx failed to count as a score; even in Rugby Union IIRC, it's good, although I think in Rugby League the touching of the opponent cancels the score. It even works in soccer, even on a penalty kick. It works in speedball. It works in Gaelic football.

It's an "own goal".

bisonlj Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:48am

Rule 4-2-2d-2 Exception:

If a scoring attempt kick touches an upright, crossbar, a game official or an R player in the end zone and caroms through the goal, the touching is ignored and the attempt is successful.

Pretty clearly ruled correctly.

ump33 Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 940542)

In the words of Lee Corso ... "Not so fast my friend" ... Better check HFHS 4-2-2d(2)

. . . The ball becomes dead and the down is ended when any legal free kick or scrimmage kick which is a scoring attempt, while in flight touches a K player in R’s end zone, or after breaking the plane of R’s goal line has apparently failed.
Exception: If a scoring attempt kick touches an upright, crossbar, a game official or R player in the end zone and caroms through the goal, the touching is ignored and the attempt is successful.

Sorry bisonlj ... you beat me to the post.

MD Longhorn Tue Sep 23, 2014 01:09pm

Silly NFHS... :) What an odd rule.

Robert Goodman Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:31pm

Oh, I couldn't resist any longer pointing out that that play was depicted in a 3 Stooges short. Curly was pyramiding (legally on shoulders at that time).

Welpe Thu Sep 25, 2014 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 940560)

Yeah, silly NFHS. They should adopt the NCAA rule...

8-4-1

"ARTICLE 1. a. A field goal shall be scored for the kicking team if a drop kick or place kick passes over the crossbar between the uprights of the receiving team’s goal before it touches a player of the kicking team or the ground. The kick shall be a scrimmage kick but may not be a free kick."

:D

ajmc Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 940560)

Why does it seem so difficult for some to understand that NFHS Rules are designed for the significantly different skill sets, experience, maturity levels, physical developments found in players aged 8 to 18/19 than in young ADULT MEN aged 18/19 through 30ish.

Any variences are intended to relate to those significantly different capabilities, than to be "silly".

Welpe Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:31am

There is no variance in this but feel free to carry on carrying on.

MD Longhorn Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:35am

Appears I'm just flat wrong in both rulesets this time. :) Time to crack open the book again. :)

JRutledge Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:53am

Bottom line, do not penalize the kicking team when the receiving team cannot keep the ball out of the uprights.

Very unusual play and most of us will probably never see anything close to this. But we have to know the rule if it happens.

Peace

Robert Goodman Fri Sep 26, 2014 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 940722)
Appears I'm just flat wrong in both rulesets this time.

Not just "both", but as I pointed out, all comparable ones going back all of time, except Rugby League. In general, when the defending team puts the ball into its goal, that's on them.

Welpe Fri Sep 26, 2014 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 940729)
Not just "both", but as I pointed out, all comparable ones going back all of time, except Rugby League. In general, when the defending team puts the ball into its goal, that's on them.

I don't think he's really concerned with anything other than NCAA.

Sturno Fri Sep 26, 2014 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 940723)
Bottom line, do not penalize the kicking team when the receiving team cannot keep the ball out of the uprights.

Very unusual play and most of us will probably never see anything close to this. But we have to know the rule if it happens.

Peace

Try this out once...I'd pay good money for video of what happened to us about 5 years ago here in WI at a JV game. Two rival high schools (literally 8 miles apart) and this is their Super Bowl every year when they play each other.

Home team attempts FG with about a minute left in game, ball splits uprights and is over crossbar - hits the knuckle and bolts where the swivel on the goal posts connect to the base after breaking the plane of all 3, literally 18 to 20 inches past, and ball bounces BACK thru uprights towards kicker and into the end zone. Kick is called good by wing back under post and I go up with the ol #5 signal.

Visiting coaching staff and rather large fan following are livid and ragging the rest of the game and all the way to the vehicles on the way out. A LONG minute or so 'twas.