The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Dead Ball Foul or Not

Team A in punt formation. 10 Guys on the field only 6 on line of scrimmage.
11th guy is trying to run on field as ball is snapped but doesn't get on right side of ball. Do you blow it dead and stop the play immediately or do you let the play run and then call for illegal shift(motion).
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerrl View Post
Team A in punt formation. 10 Guys on the field only 6 on line of scrimmage.
11th guy is trying to run on field as ball is snapped but doesn't get on right side of ball. Do you blow it dead and stop the play immediately or do you let the play run and then call for illegal shift(motion).
It is a live ball foul, a sub is not a player until he is on his side of the Los so he is not offsides. He is however still a sub who did not complete a substitution, so it will be an illegal substitution, but if he participates in any way then it is the more serious illegal participation.

You also have a live ball foul for an illegal formation.

The substitution and formation foul occur at the snap and if either is accepted would be enforced from the previous spot. If it becomes IP then it happens when and where he participates which may matter for enforcement.

Last edited by Reffing Rev.; Mon Sep 15, 2014 at 12:09pm. Reason: added to post
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

By "right side of the ball", do you mean he's on the defensive side of the line when the ball is snapped? (If so ... why "illegal shift"?)

By "right side of the ball", do you mean he's on the right but supposed to be on the left and is in motion when the ball is snapped? If so ... is he the only player in motion? How many are actually on the line when the ball was snapped?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I mean he is on the defensive side of the ball and is running to the offensive side (punt team''s side)
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerrl View Post
I mean he is on the defensive side of the ball and is running to the offensive side (punt team''s side)
Got it.

Then what Rev said. Most likely IP unless he doesn't affect the play in any way (usually this means he ran right back off, or possibly no one reacted to him at all, and the kick was not returned).

West Houston Mike