Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 06, 2014, 10:03am
Chain of Fools

Dumb Things Smart Officials Believe

NFHS Officiating Today
Old Sat Jun 07, 2014, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Actually the 1st thing he brought up is not a dumb thing, but a correct one. If you're the referee, and a genuine problem comes up that isn't covered by the rules, you do have to make up a rule.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2014, 01:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Wearing a shirt that happens to be a team color? Really?
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Actually the 1st thing he brought up is not a dumb thing, but a correct one. If you're the referee, and a genuine problem comes up that isn't covered by the rules, you do have to make up a rule.
I don't think that was what the author was saying. I read it as some officials will 'make up' rules because they don't know the applicable rule.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Fans and coaches will attempt to find any reason to call us cheaters. Why give them ammo?

I understand your point, but why not just avoid the conflict?

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
The situations where 2-3 has to be used are so few and far between and is not what the author is talking about. In fact, to even properly use 2-3, one has to have the proper rules knowledge.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 11:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Fans and coaches will attempt to find any reason to call us cheaters. Why give them ammo?

I understand your point, but why not just avoid the conflict?
Conflict? Are you serious?

I carry multiple shirts for baseball. The color of the team uniforms isn't even in our list of considerations when we decide what we're going to wear.

In the words of Nigel Owens taken completely out of context, "This isn't soccer."
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Conflict? Are you serious?

I carry multiple shirts for baseball. The color of the team uniforms isn't even in our list of considerations when we decide what we're going to wear.

In the words of Nigel Owens taken completely out of context, "This isn't soccer."
He meant the civi's you wear to the game. Not the uniform during the game.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 12:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
He meant the civi's you wear to the game. Not the uniform during the game.
Of course. I knew that when I made my original post, too, and then got distracted by life and such. I have worked with baseball umpires who will say, "We can't wear black -- the one team is wearing black." That's when I roll my eyes.

I don't worry about the color. Obviously, I wouldn't wear a school jacket or logo or anything like that. The places where people see us most often in dress clothes are in basketball and football. In those environments, I'm usually in a dress shirt or sweater.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 01:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
It has to be a consideration here. It has been an issue before. Coaches are a paranoid bunch.

We have a hard time getting game film from a lot of schools because coaches are afraid we're going to give it to the other teams.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 01:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It has to be a consideration here. It has been an issue before. Coaches are a paranoid bunch.

We have a hard time getting game film from a lot of schools because coaches are afraid we're going to give it to the other teams.
At those schools, I'd probably have the entire crew wear the same team color.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 07:20pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
I've heard that same excuse too but as I pointed out to a coach that mentioned it last, "anyone can film your game with an HD quality cell phone and have it up on YouTube before you get home". He acknowledged I was probably right.

We arrive dressed, minus the stripes or covered by a jacket. This season we are getting black polo shirts with our association lettering to wear to games. I would much prefer to arrive wearing that shirt with khakis and loafers but too many old hands still want to arrive as late as they can and then head straight home