The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 06, 2014, 10:03am
Chain of Fools
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,647
Dumb Things Smart Officials Believe

NFHS Officiating Today
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 07, 2014, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,841
Actually the 1st thing he brought up is not a dumb thing, but a correct one. If you're the referee, and a genuine problem comes up that isn't covered by the rules, you do have to make up a rule.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jun 08, 2014, 01:23am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,745
Wearing a shirt that happens to be a team color? Really?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 10:30am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 741
Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Actually the 1st thing he brought up is not a dumb thing, but a correct one. If you're the referee, and a genuine problem comes up that isn't covered by the rules, you do have to make up a rule.
I don't think that was what the author was saying. I read it as some officials will 'make up' rules because they don't know the applicable rule.
__________________
Mark

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 10:31am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 741
Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Wearing a shirt that happens to be a team color? Really?
Fans and coaches will attempt to find any reason to call us cheaters. Why give them ammo?

I understand your point, but why not just avoid the conflict?
__________________
Mark

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 10:50am
APG APG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Actually the 1st thing he brought up is not a dumb thing, but a correct one. If you're the referee, and a genuine problem comes up that isn't covered by the rules, you do have to make up a rule.
The situations where 2-3 has to be used are so few and far between and is not what the author is talking about. In fact, to even properly use 2-3, one has to have the proper rules knowledge.
__________________
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 11:33am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Fans and coaches will attempt to find any reason to call us cheaters. Why give them ammo?

I understand your point, but why not just avoid the conflict?
Conflict? Are you serious?

I carry multiple shirts for baseball. The color of the team uniforms isn't even in our list of considerations when we decide what we're going to wear.

In the words of Nigel Owens taken completely out of context, "This isn't soccer."
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 741
Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Conflict? Are you serious?

I carry multiple shirts for baseball. The color of the team uniforms isn't even in our list of considerations when we decide what we're going to wear.

In the words of Nigel Owens taken completely out of context, "This isn't soccer."
He meant the civi's you wear to the game. Not the uniform during the game.
__________________
Mark

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 12:10pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
He meant the civi's you wear to the game. Not the uniform during the game.
Of course. I knew that when I made my original post, too, and then got distracted by life and such. I have worked with baseball umpires who will say, "We can't wear black -- the one team is wearing black." That's when I roll my eyes.

I don't worry about the color. Obviously, I wouldn't wear a school jacket or logo or anything like that. The places where people see us most often in dress clothes are in basketball and football. In those environments, I'm usually in a dress shirt or sweater.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 01:31pm
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Wearing a shirt that happens to be a team color? Really?
It has to be a consideration here. It has been an issue before. Coaches are a paranoid bunch.

We have a hard time getting game film from a lot of schools because coaches are afraid we're going to give it to the other teams.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 01:35pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It has to be a consideration here. It has been an issue before. Coaches are a paranoid bunch.

We have a hard time getting game film from a lot of schools because coaches are afraid we're going to give it to the other teams.
At those schools, I'd probably have the entire crew wear the same team color.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 07:20pm
Chain of Fools
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
We have a hard time getting game film from a lot of schools because coaches are afraid we're going to give it to the other teams.
I've heard that same excuse too but as I pointed out to a coach that mentioned it last, "anyone can film your game with an HD quality cell phone and have it up on YouTube before you get home". He acknowledged I was probably right.

We arrive dressed, minus the stripes or covered by a jacket. This season we are getting black polo shirts with our association lettering to wear to games. I would much prefer to arrive wearing that shirt with khakis and loafers but too many old hands still want to arrive as late as they can and then head straight home
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game ... BillyMac Basketball 185 Mon Aug 05, 2013 08:23am
Being a Smart-*** Player commcoach Basketball 25 Thu Mar 11, 2010 02:12pm
Dumb Question (how to use Forum)...wait, education...no dumb Qs Luv4Asian8 Basketball 17 Fri Sep 19, 2003 09:33pm
10 Things I Teach New Officials Tim C Basketball 40 Sat Jan 25, 2003 03:33pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1