The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Dumb Things Smart Officials Believe (https://forum.officiating.com/football/98028-dumb-things-smart-officials-believe.html)

HLin NC Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:03am

Dumb Things Smart Officials Believe

NFHS Officiating Today

Robert Goodman Sat Jun 07, 2014 02:49pm

Actually the 1st thing he brought up is not a dumb thing, but a correct one. If you're the referee, and a genuine problem comes up that isn't covered by the rules, you do have to make up a rule.

Rich Sun Jun 08, 2014 01:23am

Wearing a shirt that happens to be a team color? Really?

MNBlue Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 935637)
Actually the 1st thing he brought up is not a dumb thing, but a correct one. If you're the referee, and a genuine problem comes up that isn't covered by the rules, you do have to make up a rule.

I don't think that was what the author was saying. I read it as some officials will 'make up' rules because they don't know the applicable rule.

MNBlue Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 935657)

Fans and coaches will attempt to find any reason to call us cheaters. Why give them ammo?

I understand your point, but why not just avoid the conflict?

APG Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 935637)

The situations where 2-3 has to be used are so few and far between and is not what the author is talking about. In fact, to even properly use 2-3, one has to have the proper rules knowledge.

Rich Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue (Post 935692)
Fans and coaches will attempt to find any reason to call us cheaters. Why give them ammo?

I understand your point, but why not just avoid the conflict?

Conflict? Are you serious?

I carry multiple shirts for baseball. The color of the team uniforms isn't even in our list of considerations when we decide what we're going to wear.

In the words of Nigel Owens taken completely out of context, "This isn't soccer."

MNBlue Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 935697)
Conflict? Are you serious?

I carry multiple shirts for baseball. The color of the team uniforms isn't even in our list of considerations when we decide what we're going to wear.

In the words of Nigel Owens taken completely out of context, "This isn't soccer."

He meant the civi's you wear to the game. Not the uniform during the game.

Rich Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue (Post 935701)
He meant the civi's you wear to the game. Not the uniform during the game.

Of course. I knew that when I made my original post, too, and then got distracted by life and such. I have worked with baseball umpires who will say, "We can't wear black -- the one team is wearing black." That's when I roll my eyes.

I don't worry about the color. Obviously, I wouldn't wear a school jacket or logo or anything like that. The places where people see us most often in dress clothes are in basketball and football. In those environments, I'm usually in a dress shirt or sweater.

Welpe Mon Jun 09, 2014 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 935657)

It has to be a consideration here. It has been an issue before. Coaches are a paranoid bunch.

We have a hard time getting game film from a lot of schools because coaches are afraid we're going to give it to the other teams. :rolleyes:

Rich Mon Jun 09, 2014 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 935710)
It has to be a consideration here. It has been an issue before. Coaches are a paranoid bunch.

We have a hard time getting game film from a lot of schools because coaches are afraid we're going to give it to the other teams. :rolleyes:

At those schools, I'd probably have the entire crew wear the same team color. :D

HLin NC Mon Jun 09, 2014 07:20pm

Quote:

We have a hard time getting game film from a lot of schools because coaches are afraid we're going to give it to the other teams.
I've heard that same excuse too but as I pointed out to a coach that mentioned it last, "anyone can film your game with an HD quality cell phone and have it up on YouTube before you get home". He acknowledged I was probably right.

We arrive dressed, minus the stripes or covered by a jacket. This season we are getting black polo shirts with our association lettering to wear to games. I would much prefer to arrive wearing that shirt with khakis and loafers but too many old hands still want to arrive as late as they can and then head straight home:(