The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Water Breaks (https://forum.officiating.com/football/9801-water-breaks.html)

Ed Hickland Thu Aug 21, 2003 07:48pm

A hot and humid day.

Referee calls timeout for a water break.

Can team go toward the bench or a coach come on the field and coach?

Rich Thu Aug 21, 2003 08:55pm

I'd let either happen as long as everyone is getting water.

Of course, I probably wouldn't notice if *I* was getting water, too :)

Rich

JugglingReferee Thu Aug 21, 2003 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ed Hickland
A hot and humid day.

Our policy in the summer's OVFL ovfootball.ca was that during a timeout or an injury, a water-person can bring water bottles to the huddle all they want and the players are allowed to remove their caps. Coaching was not permitted: coaching had to be done by the player(s) going over to the sideline as usual.

The water bottles had to be out and caps back on so not to delay the start of the game after the timeout was over.

I do recall that during one game, the Referee had an officials' water timeout for everybody.

Safety is always the absolute first concern, and is the summer heat in Ontario, a properly placed water break is helpful for everyone.

Mike

Middleman Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:20pm

Quote:

A hot and humid day.

We allow an authorized conference during water breaks as provided for in 3-5-8 (Water break is an official's time-out per 3-5-7h).

PSU213 Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:42pm

Quote:

A hot and humid day.

I agree with Middleman, a conference should be allowed. I would consider a water break to be an official's timeout for "unusual heat or humidity which may create a health risk to the players," which is from 3-5-7h. Then 3-5-8 states "An authorized conference may be held during a charged time-out or an official's time-out (7h, 7l, and 7m only). Bold added for emphasis.

BktBallRef Fri Aug 22, 2003 09:04am

Middleman and PSU213 are correct. This is an officials' TO and, by rule, an authorized conference can occur.

cmathews Fri Aug 22, 2003 09:09am

3-5-8 allows an authorized conference....for heat and humidity, which is what I assume Ed is talking about here

Warrenkicker Fri Aug 22, 2003 09:17am

We alway tell the players to go to their sidelines and get water. The way I see it this way the coach can get a look at them and see if any of them are looking bad and need to come out because most of the players would never volunteer to come out. Here is Kansas it can still be 100 at 7:00 for most of September so we use these time-outs every season. Usually one in each of the first two quarters at least.

Theisey Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:16am

It's an authorized TO changed to officals but a conference can be held has long as it follows the normal rules if the water is brought out to the players in the field.
We are not as concerned if we send them to the sidelines, as the main purpose is to get fluids for the players and the officials.

ABoselli Fri Aug 22, 2003 04:40pm

I think an important thing to remember about water breaks is that we should be careful not to do them in the middle of drives, nor after a turnover. Let teams with momentum keep it and save the break for perhaps after a punt or score.

Ed Hickland Sun Aug 24, 2003 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ABoselli
I think an important thing to remember about water breaks is that we should be careful not to do them in the middle of drives, nor after a turnover. Let teams with momentum keep it and save the break for perhaps after a punt or score.
I understand not in the middle of a drive. But why not on a turnover?

My policy has always been the first change of possession after the seven minute mark of each quarter. Guess I forgot about Old Mo'.

SWFLguy Sun Aug 24, 2003 09:49pm

mandatory in florida !

water breaks as near as possible
to the middle of each quarter----
until after the 2nd Saturday in October--
a good idea for all games played in heat !!
when I worked in CNY our crew was
very liberal with water breaks------
who would not want to be ??