Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Question Bean bags on PSK plays.

One of our members came up with this idea at our meeting:

2 bean bags: one white, one blue.

Use blue bean bag to mark end of kick when PSK may come into play. Covering official would be carrying the blue bag at the start of the play.

Use white as you normally would if there is a fumble, etc. after the end of the kick.

Ideas? Comments?

Oh, by the way, the member that came up with this idea was going to sew up about 30 of the blue bags with his wife...

Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Bad idea...at least that's what our state director said before we could even ask about it.

What happens when you through the wrong color bag?

We've been told two white bags, no other color.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Oh my, what next Mike, different colored flags for 5 vs 10 vs 15 yard fouls? Only the NFL uses blue bags.
No need to complicate things.. Just drop a (white) bag at every end-of-kick spot.

Personally speaking, you might consider having three bags if you are a downfield official. Two in your belt and one in your hand on kick play downs.

Why? consider this, a kicked ball is rolling around, touched by K, picked up by R who fumbles when hit a few yards later.
Third bag is in the pocket until a kick down is about to go off. At that time it's in your hand.
May only happened once in your lifetime or not at all, but you'll be prepared.
Think of that great observers rating you'll get too!
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, Mike! Next thing you know you, you will be advocating sunglasses, beards and long hair to match the blue beanbags.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Sat Aug 09, 2003, 09:57am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Oh my, what next Mike, different colored flags for 5 vs 10 vs 15 yard fouls? Only the NFL uses blue bags.
Not that you would know, or care to know, but I'm fairly certain that the CFL uses blue bags as well.

Mike
Old Sat Aug 09, 2003, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Right Mike, I really don't know much about the CFL. I should as I have relatives in Kitchner, Ontario.
Considering it is a professional league, its not a surprise about the color of the bags.
Do they still wear the stirrup socks?
Old Sat Aug 09, 2003, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

They still wear the stirrup socks, as do the rest of us in Canada.
Old Sat Aug 09, 2003, 09:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Unhappy Suuurreeee he was.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper
Wow, Mike! Next thing you know you, you will be advocating sunglasses, beards and long hair to match the blue beanbags.
Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
What's wrong with blue bean bags, beards, sunglasses, and long hair for football officials????? Heck I say dye the hair blue and get some blue colored sunglasses to boot..

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

How about only using blue bean bags if your playing on a snow covered field? Makes it easier to find your bag. NOT.
I carry 2 white ones. One on my belt and small aux. on in my pocket. In Ohio, we are required, by the state, to have our rule books available in case of a coaches conference. We care a fanny back that we have the chain crew hold. Besides the rule books we have tape, a double hook (in case the chain breaks), extra pencil, whiste and bean bag. The chain crews can wear it and it's a great ice breaker with those guys as well.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
Oh, by the way, the member that came up with this idea was going to sew up about 30 of the blue bags with his wife...

Im sure his wife is greatful that the board shut down the idea
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FBullock
How about only using blue bean bags if your playing on a snow covered field? Makes it easier to find your bag. NOT.
I carry 2 white ones. One on my belt and small aux. on in my pocket. In Ohio, we are required, by the state, to have our rule books available in case of a coaches conference. We care a fanny back that we have the chain crew hold. Besides the rule books we have tape, a double hook (in case the chain breaks), extra pencil, whiste and bean bag. The chain crews can wear it and it's a great ice breaker with those guys as well.
Are you actually required to have the rulebook on the field?? To me this seems to be asking for trouble. I used to officiate ice hockey, and during a game the coach questioned my partner's rule knowledge (for the record, my partner was correct). I forget the exact circumstance, but it was a rule that required knowledge of several defintions. My partner whips out the book and the coach quickly reads just the rule, not knowing the precise defintions. Now based on his 20 second reading of the rule, he is convinced for the rest of the game that we have no clue about any of the rules. There is never going to be enough time for the coach to read all the pertinant rules/definitions, so I think it is best to leave the book in the locker room.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
Are you actually required to have the rulebook on the field?? To me this seems to be asking for trouble. I used to officiate ice hockey, and during a game the coach questioned my partner's rule knowledge (for the record, my partner was correct). I forget the exact circumstance, but it was a rule that required knowledge of several defintions. My partner whips out the book and the coach quickly reads just the rule, not knowing the precise defintions. Now based on his 20 second reading of the rule, he is convinced for the rest of the game that we have no clue about any of the rules. There is never going to be enough time for the coach to read all the pertinant rules/definitions, so I think it is best to leave the book in the locker room.
I agree. A very bad idea.

Does Ohio do this in other sports as well?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
Quote:
Originally posted by FBullock
I carry 2 white ones. One on my belt and small aux. on in my pocket. In Ohio, we are required, by the state, to have our rule books available in case of a coaches conference. We care a fanny back that we have the chain crew hold. Besides the rule books we have tape, a double hook (in case the chain breaks), extra pencil, whiste and bean bag. The chain crews can wear it and it's a great ice breaker with those guys as well...

There is never going to be enough time for the coach to read all the pertinant rules/definitions, so I think it is best to leave the book in the locker room.
I like that idea and this season my crew will have a bag on the sidelines too.

We are required to have a rule book available on the sideline. However, as we all know there is never a simple section in the rule book pointing to what the coach wants to see. I tried explaining the previous PSK to a coach using the rule book. He was lost when I starting explaining loose ball play versus running play. If the coach has no idea of the rules before the game what makes you think he can master a rule with a simple glance at the book?
Old Mon Aug 11, 2003, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Like we do in baseball. Coach "Show me in the rule book where that ruling is correct!!"
Ump " No coach you show me in the rule book that ruling is not correct."

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.