The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 25, 2003, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

I have a major decision to make this season. I am currently an umpire on the strongest crew in our association. I have also worked as a referee the last two years at the JV and JH level. I worked at referee the last varsity game last year. My assignor has asked me to referee a new crew this year with a collection of 2nd and 3rd year officials. I will go from working the best games on Friday night to working the last assigned game each week. At umpire, I am the 2nd rated umpire in the association thus better playoff assignments. As referee, I am behind three referee that have worked HS finals. What should I do? I relish the opportunity to lead a varsity crew but I wonder if I'm giving up my best opportunity to advance.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2003, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Well being on one of those lesser crews I have that experience. If you are interested in getting to the next level or are interested in working championships and playoff games then stay where you are. Your assignor is interested in taking a knowledgeable official and starting a new crew that will eventually take the place of other crews as guys get older and finish their career. With the state of officiating today and the lack of good new crews he is interested in getting your knowledge passed on to a group of guys who possibly show some promise. Coaches who know and respect you will treat your young guys with more respect just because you are on the field with them.