The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Running Clock rule added in Ohio (https://forum.officiating.com/football/97946-running-clock-rule-added-ohio.html)

bigjohn Thu May 22, 2014 01:10pm

Running Clock rule added in Ohio

http://www.sportsbuzzohio.com/2014/0...es-mercy-rule/

JRutledge Thu May 22, 2014 02:05pm

Welcome to most of the civilized high school sporting world. ;)

But I can see why this was needed when you had in the article a coach saying that coaches should come to some kind of agreement on their own. . I know in this state there are coaches that cannot agree on many things and this takes away their choice. Here we have a 40 point rule and it works well. No arguing over what we do or even how the rule applies.

Peace

HLin NC Thu May 22, 2014 07:02pm

NC had the same problem. To add to the "coaches had to agree" issue, the officials were not permitted to broach the subject, we had to wait for one to mention it and then shuffle over to the other one and get his opinion.

One, usually the one kicking butt at halftime, would ask "are you gonna run it?"
Us- "Dunno Coach, we gotta go ask him now and get back to you on it."
Sometimes the coach behind will normally say something like "you're gonna run it, aren't you?" Us- "if you say it's ok we will". Him-"let's get the #€\\ outta here".

Starting this season it will be automatic at any point after halftime with a 42 pt differential.

csb1971 Fri Jul 11, 2014 04:03pm

A 30 point differential in the second half seems a bit low to me, but that's just my opinion. Here in Colorado it is a 40 point margin, regardless of the stage in the game.

ajmc Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 934711)
NC had the same problem. To add to the "coaches had to agree" issue, the officials were not permitted to broach the subject, we had to wait for one to mention it and then shuffle over to the other one and get his opinion.

One, usually the one kicking butt at halftime, would ask "are you gonna run it?"
Us- "Dunno Coach, we gotta go ask him now and get back to you on it."
Sometimes the coach behind will normally say something like "you're gonna run it, aren't you?" Us- "if you say it's ok we will". Him-"let's get the #€\\ outta here".

The ability to produce a successful outcome of such discussions, is an important skill a Referee must possess.

JRutledge Sat Jul 12, 2014 09:27pm

I agree that 30 seems a bit low. I guess the question I would have, does that rule not apply if a team gets under 30 points? In my state, once you ring the bell, you apply the mercy rule the rest of the game. Then again it is 40 points, the game is pretty much over at that point.

Peace

Tom.OH Tue Jul 15, 2014 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 937671)
I agree that 30 seems a bit low. I guess the question I would have, does that rule not apply if a team gets under 30 points? In my state, once you ring the bell, you apply the mercy rule the rest of the game. Then again it is 40 points, the game is pretty much over at that point.

Peace

If the lead drops below 30 points regular timing rules will resume.

csb1971 Wed Jul 16, 2014 01:04pm

That makes sense that things revert back to normal if it goes under 30. Colorado's stays running even if the differential drops under 40 again. But, like JRut said, by that point it is basically over anyway.

Texas Aggie Wed Jul 16, 2014 06:31pm

We have it for private schools, but not public. I thought they might add it this year after the fiasco with one state champion who beat a district foe like 91-0. Some idiot filed a bullying complaint against the head coach of the winning team. What was baffling was whoever "received" the report did something other than wad it up and throw it away. Anyway, I thought they'd go ahead and do the right thing and mandate the running clock. Too many times, the losing coach is so pissed at his players (nothing to do with coaching, of course) he wants them to "be taught a lesson," or some such nonsense. He doesn't seem to understand that injury frequency increases and that game management becomes hell in many of those situations. In other situations, the winning coach has something personal against the other coach or staff and really does want to lay it on.

If there's a better example of the proper time for the state organization to save coaches from themselves, I don't know what it is.

SWFLguy Wed Jul 16, 2014 08:18pm

Why not split the difference and make it 35? This old timer recalls blow out games years ago back in CNY where I wish we had such a rule.

Rich Wed Jul 16, 2014 08:26pm

35 points in Wisconsin.

Mutual agreement in the first half.

Will revert to normal timing rules if the differential goes under 35 before the end of the third quarter.

Will continue to run if the differential is 35 anytime after the end of the third quarter regardless of future scores.

Adam Sun Jul 20, 2014 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by csb1971 (Post 937881)
That makes sense that things revert back to normal if it goes under 30. Colorado's stays running even if the differential drops under 40 again. But, like JRut said, by that point it is basically over anyway.

Had a losing coach go ballistic when he scored a meaningless touchdown with 1 minute left, making it 40-6 (JV game). He wanted the clock to stop so he could try to score another one.

JRutledge Sun Jul 20, 2014 07:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 938034)
Had a losing coach go ballistic when he scored a meaningless touchdown with 1 minute left, making it 40-6 (JV game). He wanted the clock to stop so he could try to score another one.

Well, they can go nuts all they like here, the rule is simple and do not let it get to 40 points and they have little to worry about. ;)

Peace

mtn335 Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:32pm

Here in Washington we have a 40-point, second-half rule. I'm not sure how the rules are written in other states, but here in WA one of the things that continues to stop the clock is "officials time-outs." Of course, that includes a whole slew of things (enforcement, chains, etc) that the state very specifically wants us to stop the clock for (reference the multiple memos on the topic!), but coaches don't realize this.

The result: in five years of high school officiating, I've had exactly one official coach-referee conference. I had the misfortune of being the white hat when the losing coach in this game called for a conference in order to find out why I wasn't using the running clock. I explained how it worked and his reaction (shocked expression, body simultaneously tense and slumping, massive eyeroll as he turned and stalked back to his bench) was kind of hilarious.

I offered to show him the memo if he wanted. He didn't take me up on the offer :p

Suudy Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtn335 (Post 938087)
Here in Washington we have a 40-point, second-half rule. I'm not sure how the rules are written in other states, but here in WA one of the things that continues to stop the clock is "officials time-outs." Of course, that includes a whole slew of things (enforcement, chains, etc) that the state very specifically wants us to stop the clock for (reference the multiple memos on the topic!), but coaches don't realize this.

Well, this changed this year.

WIAA assembly board approves six new amendments for 2014-15 | High School Sports | The News Tribune
* Amendment 57.7.0 alters the rules of the running-clock “mercy rule” in high school football. The clock will now run through official’s timeouts, shortening a blowout game.