The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Comments on the 2014 football rules changes (https://forum.officiating.com/football/97747-comments-2014-football-rules-changes.html)

HLin NC Mon Apr 14, 2014 08:15am

Comments on the 2014 football rules changes

http://www.nfhs.org/Workarea/Downloa....aspx?id=10624

http://www.nfhs.org/Workarea/Downloa....aspx?id=10623

JRutledge Mon Apr 14, 2014 08:38am

So far I love the wording for targeting. Tired of this helmet to helmet mess we keep using to justify an illegal hit. We will see if the rulebook reflects these comments better.

Peace

Reffing Rev. Mon Apr 14, 2014 01:30pm

How do I determine intent?

HLin NC Mon Apr 14, 2014 02:21pm

Quote:

The National Federation of High Schools has approved the use of wider zebra stripes for high school football officials. The current shirt can still be worn for 2014 and ’15, as long as everyone on a given crew is wearing the same stripes. All officials must switch to the wider stripes by 2016 (big thanks to Joe Schmeltzer). …
Uni Watch » To Tuck or Not to Tuck: That Is the Question

Maybe wearing 2" stripes will give you that super-power?!

JRutledge Tue Apr 15, 2014 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. (Post 931714)
How do I determine intent?

The same way you determine other things when certain language is used or other illegal acts that would be influenced by intent. If the hit is to punish someone rather than make a tackle, I would think that would be more obvious to an official. I also think that the NF does not want to penalize all head contact, but only when it is clear the hit was deliberate under this definition. I am sure we can still call spearing and other safety issues that are not associated with intent, but targeting will be subjected to that kind of action. In other words a player that ducks to be ready for contact and gets hit in the head as a result is probably going to not be encouraged for us to call a foul (just a guess at this point). We will just have to see how it is interpreted.

Peace

HLin NC Tue Apr 15, 2014 01:14pm

I have a clip we were reviewing last night on a sideline hit from a game last season. One of the group asked if we thought that the hit we observed would be considered targeting. I will try to upload to a host and link later this evening.

ajmc Tue Apr 15, 2014 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 931836)
I have a clip we were reviewing last night on a sideline hit from a game last season. One of the group asked if we thought that the hit we observed would be considered targeting. I will try to upload to a host and link later this evening.

There are circumstances where the view on film carries a much clearer picture of what may have occurred than may be seen from the angle of
on-field officials, but there are also circumstances where the view, from the on-field official clearly observes details not visible from a camera angle.

From the descriptions available, thus far, it appears "targeting" is going to be a purely judgment call, and as such, "One size will NEVER fit all".

HLin NC Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:03am

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/92106886?byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="500" height="333" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/92106886">Cougar Sports-TCR- Late Hit-Target 10-25-13</a>

The play appears to be a late hit out of bounds that was not flagged. B6 appears to take aim and lower his right shoulder to strike A20 at the head.

Rich Wed Apr 16, 2014 06:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 931720)
Uni Watch » To Tuck or Not to Tuck: That Is the Question

Maybe wearing 2" stripes will give you that super-power?!

I haven't seen this anywhere. Wonder if this is a state adopting this.

SE Minnestoa Re Wed Apr 16, 2014 08:57am

The difficulty in determining targeting is that college and the NFL have deep wing officials who have a pretty good angle. In high school, we work with 5 and don't have the two extra pair of eyes on the play.

ajmc Wed Apr 16, 2014 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 931893)
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/92106886?byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="500" height="333" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/92106886">Cougar Sports-TCR- Late Hit-Target 10-25-13</a>

The play appears to be a late hit out of bounds that was not flagged. B6 appears to take aim and lower his right shoulder to strike A20 at the head.

The trailing side official appears to be RIGHT ON TOP of the play in position to observe the contact from a much closer vantage than the film provides, what makes you doubt his decision?

JRutledge Wed Apr 16, 2014 03:15pm

If he missed something, he is right there.

Peace

HLin NC Wed Apr 16, 2014 09:56pm

Being RIGHT ON TOP of the play doesn't mean you don't/can't miss something.
A player was down and
out of bounds when B player hit him and it was avoidable.

I've got another from same field, different game where the LJ flags a hold to spring the runner but then misses the spearing on the runner after he's down. He was right on top of it too.

JRutledge Thu Apr 17, 2014 09:28am

It does not look "obvious" to say one way or another. I even think he hits the player on shoulder or part of the back. So that is why the location of the official would matter. Maybe they clearly saw the contact. We are looking at angles across the field and not down the sideline. That is why being on top of the play would matter. But that does not mean there was a miss by the official. I just have nothing to say they were wrong at this time.

Peace

ajmc Thu Apr 17, 2014 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 932014)
Being RIGHT ON TOP of the play doesn't mean you don't/can't miss something.
A player was down and
out of bounds when B player hit him and it was avoidable.

I've got another from same field, different game where the LJ flags a hold to spring the runner but then misses the spearing on the runner after he's down. He was right on top of it too.

As technology continues to improve, perhaps by the time we get to having an 8th official assigned to HS games, that new position will be an official hovering above the field of play, with the capability to slow the view of all the action down, but until then we're going to have to suffer with just 5, 6 or maybe 7 people watching 22 players, in the best position possible.

Earlier on, the question was raised, "How do you judge intent?", and I would submit, as difficult as that may be, it's a lot more likely to discern at ground level, relatively close to the play, than it is from up high looking down on the action. "Intent" will always be a judgment call, and always depend on knowledge, experience common sense and the courage to act on what those factors provide.

HLin NC Fri Apr 18, 2014 08:24am

All that is well and good but unfortunately for us as officials, our observers/trainers/evaluators are almost always in the stands or press box so that is the view you get. The review committee on which I serve has no other options but to review film. We are too small a group to not be calling on Friday night and we have one retired ACC official working as our observer.

Bringing us back around to topic-the dive by the defender into the runner, would that be a possible example of NF "targeting"?

JRutledge Fri Apr 18, 2014 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 932144)
All that is well and good but unfortunately for us as officials, our observers/trainers/evaluators are almost always in the stands or press box so that is the view you get. The review committee on which I serve has no other options but to review film. We are too small a group to not be calling on Friday night and we have one retired ACC official working as our observer.

Bringing us back around to topic-the dive by the defender into the runner, would that be a possible example of NF "targeting"?

But when you evaluate tape (or when I have had games evaluated), evaluators usually do not make conclusions unless they have evidence. And then when you do not have definitive evidence, you default to the position of the official. Now you can ask the official what they saw and show then what they might have missed, but usually judgment is hard to conclude with angles like this. Yes, it could have been targeting, but I see nothing conclusive. I see an official standing there that likely saw the contact and did not draw anything from it. He could be wrong and you can always talk about why he did not see it one way or another, but I cannot come on this site and say he was totally in the wrong or missed something without some input. Talking to the officials (what evaluators often do) you see if they remember the play and see their judgment.

Peace

Robert Goodman Fri Apr 18, 2014 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 932144)

And if it was targeting, would it not have been unnecessary roughness under the previous rules?

ajmc Sun Apr 20, 2014 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 932174)
And if it was targeting, would it not have been unnecessary roughness under the previous rules?

Once again, only if that same field official (who obviously didn't judge the contact to be the result of targeting) believed the contact to be "unnecessary", avoidable and/or excessive.