The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Team a has the ball on their 45, A32 fumbles on the 50, during the scramble for the loose ball B66 grabs A56 facemask and pulls him to the ground - Major face mask foul by B during a running play. Basic spot on this one is the 50.

A32 recovers the ball at the opp. 45, and is running towards his (opponent’s?) goal line, when B10 hits him causing the ball to come out at B’s 10, ball is kicked around, when B12 bats it towards his own end zone and it goes out the back. - For NCAA, the bat is legal but does—by rule—impart a new force (impetus) on the loose ball. Therefore, B is responsible for the ball in his EZ. In Federation, there’s no such stipulation. You must judge if B’s bat indeed imparted a new force. If so, then just like NCAA you have a safety as the result of the play. If not, then the fumble is the force that put the ball into the EZ and you have a TB pending. In either case, the batting foul occurred during a running play with B’s 10 as the basic spot.

What do we have??

Also back judge come up to you after the whistle blows and says he had a late flag for taunting by B12. Regardless of whether this USC foul occurred during or after the down, it’s enforced as a dead ball foul from the succeeding spot. It doesn’t matter whether A accepts the result of the play or either of the two B live ball fouls. This USC foul will be enforced

Give it to me guys, i know its far fetched but a lot covered and always can happen, also I have 2 teams not that good this Friday, something like this will probably happen....!!!! Thanks for your time...

So for NCAA, TxMike’s answer is correct. For Federation, the result of the play might be a safety (if you judge that B’s bat was a new force) or a TB (if you judge that A’s fumble is still the force). If you rule that the result of the play is a safety, and A can decline both live ball fouls, get the two points and have B free kick following enforcement for the USC. Or they can accept the penalty for the bat, which would give them the ball 1-G at B’s 5, then have the USC enforced resulting in 1-G from B’s 2.5. Naturally, if you ruled that B’s bat did not impart a new force, this would be A’s choice. The face mask foul is of no consequence since it would be enforced from the 50.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Now Bob, as you well know thats not quite right . How about batting a fumble that's in flight ?
REPLY: Can't slip anything by Jimmy. My response to TxMike stands clarified by Mr. Neil!!
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to otis3zeb Send a message via Yahoo to otis3zeb
Thumbs up Very well done guys....

This is why I like this site. Alot of different views, and thoughts, actually goes in depth and covers other situations, keep it going guys, and others list situations like this one. Thanks again guys. And sorry about the CAPS!!!!!!