The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 28, 2013, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref inSoCA View Post
There is no logic. Blandino is not an official and, apparently, knows nothing about officiating. The worst Commissioner is all of sports has made the NFL a joke.

That was a geat block that cleared a hole for the runner. If the punter is such a pussy, he shouldn't be out there.
There is a clear logic behind the rule...of which everyone else seems to be able to understand except for you and hbk213.

So I assume that you think the NCAA is a joke as well? Because the punter would be afforded the exact same protections on this play as the NFL.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 03:09am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
There is a clear logic behind the rule...of which everyone else seems to be able to understand except for you and hbk213.

So I assume that you think the NCAA is a joke as well? Because the punter would be afforded the exact same protections on this play as the NFL.
I understand it. What would you think of making the punters or any other player afforded defenseless player protection for the duration of plays wear some kind of identifier, whether a different jersey color or something else?
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 10:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
I understand it. What would you think of making the punters or any other player afforded defenseless player protection for the duration of plays wear some kind of identifier, whether a different jersey color or something else?
A unique number seems to be sufficient for the vast majority of plays.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 04:36pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
A unique number seems to be sufficient for the vast majority of plays.
Receivers and punters/kickers/quarterbacks do have some overlap in numbering.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't really think it's needed...it's pretty evident to everyone on the field who the kicker/punter or QB is on a play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Is this a rules based in interpretation or your own personal thoughts?
Apparently that was an interpretation shared by the field officials on the game.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 10:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Apparently that was an interpretation shared by the field officials on the game.
But not their bosses.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 10:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Receivers and punters/kickers/quarterbacks do have some overlap in numbering.
Yes and no. At that level, everyone knows who the punter is, and what his number is. They spent hours watching film all week. There are no secrets.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 10:50pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Yes and no. At that level, everyone knows who the punter is, and what his number is. They spent hours watching film all week. There are no secrets.
I think he's just saying if protecting the punter is so important why not make it really clear who he is. I can imagine that a player might block a punter or kicker without happening to glance at his number. If protecting those guys is so important it makes sense to give them a special jersey color.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2013, 10:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I think he's just saying if protecting the punter is so important why not make it really clear who he is. I can imagine that a player might block a punter or kicker without happening to glance at his number. If protecting those guys is so important it makes sense to give them a special jersey color.
Maybe. I see your point, but how many other times has this happened? I can't recall any. The rule seems to be working as it is.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2013, 03:11pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
I think we got that. In return, it really isn't that hard to figure out who the punter/kicker/QB is/was- low #, smallish looking dude all the way in the backfield.

This isn't soccer.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2013, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I could maybe see this point...if there was a rash of these type of plays. Players know who the QB/kicker is. Just watch any type of change of possession during a scrimmage down. You'll see players avoid contacting the QB unless he's trying to make a play.