The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Snap on the ready? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/96690-snap-ready.html)

bigjohn Wed Dec 04, 2013 09:29am

Snap on the ready?

Is it legal for A to be set ready to go and snap the ball on the whistle for the ready to play?

Adam Wed Dec 04, 2013 09:43am

1 second.

Welpe Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:02am

Yes, as long as they are set for 1 second prior to the snap.

This has been discussed quite a few times before, what are you getting at? :)

bigjohn Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:14am

Just making sure, I was pretty sure you had to wait one full second after the whistle. Not snap the ball on the whistle, I did a search and found nothing.

I have gotten two different answers here already so which is it??

BIG UMP Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:33am

I'm going with Welpe, If A is set for one second prior to the ready they can snap the ball on the ready. They have met all requirements.

claude Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:43am

Penalty on D (delay of game) if they are not ready, correct?

bigjohn Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:26pm

D (or B I think is correct) does not have to be set for any length of time.

Robert Goodman Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:41pm

What would it even mean for team B not to be ready? There is a general provision about a team's appearing to be ready following a major stoppage, but not just any RFP.

claude Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 912811)
What would it even mean for team B not to be ready? There is a general provision about a team's appearing to be ready following a major stoppage, but not just any RFP.

Just breaking huddle

bigjohn Wed Dec 04, 2013 01:07pm

that is not a foul just they get beat bad on a play where they are not lined up.

MD Longhorn Wed Dec 04, 2013 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude (Post 912798)
Penalty on D (delay of game) if they are not ready, correct?

Um... no.

Suudy Wed Dec 04, 2013 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG UMP (Post 912797)
I'm going with Welpe, If A is set for one second prior to the ready they can snap the ball on the ready. They have met all requirements.

And in discussions before, is putting hands on the ball by the center movement? We have the U hold off the center until the RFP. Is the action of reaching down and grabbing (and adjusting) the ball movement? If so, then the earliest one could snap is 1 second after the RFP.

MD Longhorn Wed Dec 04, 2013 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suudy (Post 912835)
And in discussions before, is putting hands on the ball by the center movement? We have the U hold off the center until the RFP. Is the action of reaching down and grabbing (and adjusting) the ball movement? If so, then the earliest one could snap is 1 second after the RFP.

Well, think about it... when you're in hurry up, don't most R's give U just a second to get out of there before blowing it ready? I know I've said, "Wait for the whistle!!!" more than once.

Welpe Wed Dec 04, 2013 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 912843)
Well, think about it... when you're in hurry up, don't most R's give U just a second to get out of there before blowing it ready? I know I've said, "Wait for the whistle!!!" more than once.

Yup, that's how we do it anyways. R sends the U off and gives him a couple to get into position while the U tells the snapper "Wait for the whistle."

Suudy Wed Dec 04, 2013 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 912843)

That is a good point. If the center grabs the ball just as the U backs off and completes his adjustments prior to the RFP, I see your point. But if the center waits for the whistle before grabbing/adjusting the ball, then we have at least 1 second after the RFP.

I guess it depends on how "Wait for the whistle!!" is interpreted.