The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NFHS Survey (https://forum.officiating.com/football/96674-nfhs-survey.html)

Rich Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:51am

NFHS Survey

NFHS | NFHS Sport Questionnaires

Discussion starts with the next post! :D

Welpe Tue Dec 03, 2013 09:04am

They should have just said "Should we adopt X% of the NCAA rulebook as our own?"

:D

CT1 Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:22am

Wondering why they didn't ask about defensive fouls behind the LOS as well as offensive.

Canned Heat Tue Dec 03, 2013 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 912618)
They should have just said "Should we adopt X% of the NCAA rulebook as our own?"

I was thinking the same thing.

To bad nothing addressed NFHS recommended mechanics...

tjones1 Tue Dec 03, 2013 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 912618)

BAHAHAHAHA! :D

I agree! :)

Hopefully they don't adopt any of them except I did say yes to eliminating face guarding.

Rich Tue Dec 03, 2013 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 912671)
BAHAHAHAHA! :D

I agree! :)

Hopefully they don't adopt any of them except I did say yes to eliminating face guarding.

I hope they adopt *all* of them.

Texas Aggie Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:35pm

Not that it matters to me too much, but I think more states should go NCAA. The Fed football rules are just bizarre in too many areas. States have all the ability they want to make their own modifications, unlike when using Fed.

Welpe Wed Dec 04, 2013 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 912718)
States have all the ability they want to make their own modifications, unlike when using Fed.

States can, and do, modify NFHS rules as well.

There are some things I like about NFHS rules, including the simplicity of blocking below the waist. That's a jumbled mess in NCAA and doesn't seem it will be really fixed any time soon.

Robert Goodman Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:34pm

Quote:

Not that it matters to me too much, but I think more states should go NCAA. The Fed football rules are just bizarre in too many areas. States have all the ability they want to make their own modifications, unlike when using Fed.

They have that "ability" because they can't be members of the NCAA!

By the same token, they have the ability to make their own modif'ns on Fed rules too. I know plenty of organiz'ns that do so. They just aren't members of the Federation.

Suudy Wed Dec 04, 2013 03:16pm

Quote:

Not that it matters to me too much, but I think more states should go NCAA.

Out of curiosity, do TX (and MA) allow blocking below the waist as NCAA does (obviously before a COP, not back toward the LOS, etc)? Or are there modifications to the NCAA ruleset?

I think one of the biggest barriers to states switching from Fed to NCAA is the blocking changes. There is already significant focus and emphasis on injuries (chop blocks have been heavily emphasized over the last several years). And the questions in the survey hint at this. Notice the question about "the free blocking zone and making blocking below the waist, clipping and blocking in the back illegal anywhere on the field".

Welpe Wed Dec 04, 2013 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suudy (Post 912836)
Out of curiosity, do TX (and MA) allow blocking below the waist as NCAA does (obviously before a COP, not back toward the LOS, etc)? Or are there modifications to the NCAA ruleset?

Except for some administrative uniform things, timing and where to kick off from, the rules in Texas are exactly the same as NCAA. We are about 99% pure NCAA.

Suudy Wed Dec 04, 2013 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 912838)
Except for some administrative uniform things, timing and where to kick off from, the rules in Texas are exactly the same as NCAA. We are about 99% pure NCAA.

I wonder if there has been any study on injuries in TX/MA vs Fed states. If the Fed is considering eliminating the free blocking zone and focusing on other types of blocks, I would think they are doing it for safety reasons. And if they are concerned about illegal blocking (including blocks below the waist), then they must have a reason to consider it dangerous. And one would hope they have data to support such a conclusion.

MD Longhorn Wed Dec 04, 2013 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suudy (Post 912840)
I wonder if there has been any study on injuries in TX/MA vs Fed states. If the Fed is considering eliminating the free blocking zone and focusing on other types of blocks, I would think they are doing it for safety reasons. And if they are concerned about illegal blocking (including blocks below the waist), then they must have a reason to consider it dangerous. And one would hope they have data to support such a conclusion.

It's been my experience (multiple sports) that rules designed to prevent injuries are not supported by data as much as they are supported by one-off anecdotal stories or "what-if" fears.

maven Wed Dec 04, 2013 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 912838)
We are about 99% pure NCAA.

Is that by weight or volume?

Welpe Wed Dec 04, 2013 04:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 912851)
Is that by weight or volume?

Volume...we are much louder here. :D