The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

The IndyStar has a feature today showing stills of the play from the angle it sounds like Red Zone may have had. The live feed and all the feeds I saw from the press box side were inconclusive to me that Chapman tripped the runner. From angle in these stills though it does appear the contact was made.

Anatomy of a Play: Blown call costs the Colts in Cincy

Triplett never said the replays didn't show this part of the play. He just said he didn't look at it. We don't know what he did or didn't see.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
I'd have a tough time imagining the NFL failing that badly with a replay review system. The official making the decision has to have input into what he sees.
"Has to" meaning you think he does? Or "has to" meaning you think he should?

I can see Hochuli in there... "OK, give me camera 6. No, zoom out. OK, thanks. Now camera 7... Can you zoom in on the goal line there. OK, thanks. How's camera 8? Oops... out of time." Yeah, that would work.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
The IndyStar has a feature today showing stills of the play from the angle it sounds like Red Zone may have had. The live feed and all the feeds I saw from the press box side were inconclusive to me that Chapman tripped the runner. From angle in these stills though it does appear the contact was made.

Anatomy of a Play: Blown call costs the Colts in Cincy

Triplett never said the replays didn't show this part of the play. He just said he didn't look at it. We don't know what he did or didn't see.
That's helpful. Although I hate how they put the big blurry yellow oval right exactly where we need to see. To my memory, the angle I saw on Red Zone was lower and/or further back, and to the right of the one we see in (2) and (3) on the link you sent. On (3), I can't tell what is leg and what is hand - and to whom what belongs to (thanks yellow oval), but you sure could in the angle we saw on TV. There was definite space between the NT's hand and the RB's leg.

The view they call the "most obvious view" doesn't appear to be contact to me - and in fact is the opposite foot from the previous view - the right foot is closer to us (the camera) than the hand.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:27am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
"Has to" meaning you think he does? Or "has to" meaning you think he should?

I can see Hochuli in there... "OK, give me camera 6. No, zoom out. OK, thanks. Now camera 7... Can you zoom in on the goal line there. OK, thanks. How's camera 8? Oops... out of time." Yeah, that would work.
Just thinking logically. It wouldn't make any sense at all for the referee to not be able to say "let me see that again" or "play that back from the start."

If that is indeed the case, the NFL replay system fails miserably.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just thinking logically. It wouldn't make any sense at all for the referee to not be able to say "let me see that again" or "play that back from the start."
True. Good thing I didn't say any of that.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If that is indeed the case, the NFL replay system fails miserably.
The article about Game 150 talked a bit about this process. The replay official apparently picks a handful of view that may be useful and then makes them available to the referee. He then can control them.

What happens though if the replay official doesn't go back far enough to know there was a potential touch earlier in the play? Nothing the referee can do about that.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 02:18pm
In Time Out

Quote:
True. Good thing I didn't say any of that.
You sarcastically dismissed it.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 02:18pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
The article about Game 150 talked a bit about this process. The replay official apparently picks a handful of view that may be useful and then makes them available to the referee. He then can control them.

What happens though if the replay official doesn't go back far enough to know there was a potential touch earlier in the play? Nothing the referee can do about that.
So the system is flawed.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You sarcastically dismissed it.
I just re-read all of my posts, and I see no sarcasm.

You keep telling us you're not here just to bash officials - you're here to learn and be educated as well. Yet when someone tries to explain something to you, you bash more. I tried to explain the process to you. Not my fault you've decided not to listen. I'm done trying to help.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So the system is flawed.
There is no perfect system. Call it flawed if you like, but any fix you might come up with to fix the flaw you perceive will be accompanied by more flaws. The system in place has been subject to review numerous times by those to whom it matters most (that group does not include you), and is the best balance according to their needs.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 02:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That's what I just said.
Learning; deferring to those who have rules knowledge and game experience? No, I don't remember reading anything like that.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 02:43pm
In Time Out

Quote:
I just re-read all of my posts, and I see no sarcasm.

You keep telling us you're not here just to bash officials - you're here to learn and be educated as well. Yet when someone tries to explain something to you, you bash more. I tried to explain the process to you. Not my fault you've decided not to listen. I'm done trying to help.
I'm just stating the obvious. The replay system failed in this instance.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 02:48pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Learning; deferring to those who have rules knowledge and game experience? No, I don't remember reading anything like that.
I did learn something. I found out about an illogical flaw in the NFL's replay system.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 03:02pm
Archaic Power Monger

Enough axe grinding.