The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Unsportsmanlike penalty and no automatic first down! (https://forum.officiating.com/football/96513-unsportsmanlike-penalty-no-automatic-first-down.html)

Foomanchu Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:04am

Unsportsmanlike penalty and no automatic first down!

High school football. Third down and goal from 7-yard line. Defense commits unsportsmanlike 15-yard penalty on defense. Referee moves ball half the distance to goal and the game continues with third down replayed. Shouldn't there be an automatic first down?

ump33 Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foomanchu (Post 910259)
High school football. Third down and goal from 7-yard line. Defense commits unsportsmanlike 15-yard penalty on defense. Referee moves ball half the distance to goal and the game continues with third down replayed. Shouldn't there be an automatic first down?

Unsportsmanlike Penalty (USC) does not carry an Automatic 1st Down, it is enforced from the Succeeding Spot. The next down is determined on when the USC happened.

If the USC happened before the snap on 3rd & Goal from the 7, it would be 3rd & Goal from the 3 1/2.

If the USC happened after the snap on 3rd & Goal from the 7, it would be 4th & Goal from the 3 1/2.

The only automatic 1st Down Penalties are Roughing the Passer, Kicker, Holder and Scrimmage Kick Formation Snapper.

HLin NC Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:56am

USC is not AFD.

You've got two posts to your credit and you spent them questioning things you've seen or heard happened. Why do you inherently assume the officials were wrong?

If you have that much interest, I urge you to obtain a set of rules and delve into them. You will become a much more knowledgable fan/coach/official, whichever the case may be.

JasonTX Sat Nov 09, 2013 07:37pm

If you were in Texas or Massachusetts it would be an automatic first down.

Rich Sat Nov 09, 2013 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonTX (Post 910297)
If you were in Texas or Massachusetts it would be an automatic first down.

2 of 50 states.

My question would be, "Why isn't it fourth down?" USC is typically a succeeding spot enforcement.

JasonTX Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 910307)
2 of 50 states.

My question would be, "Why isn't it fourth down?" USC is typically a succeeding spot enforcement.

NCAA changed the rule. USC is now treated just like any other live ball foul, such as facemask, holding, etc. If it happens during the play we treat it no different than those other fouls. If it's on the defense it is an automatic first down.

PAUmpire Sun Nov 10, 2013 01:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foomanchu (Post 910259)

Specifiy which state please?

ump33 Sun Nov 10, 2013 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 910307)
2 of 50 states.

Good catch, I was caught up in the "no automatic 1st Down" part of the question and overlooked USC is Succeeding Spot. I have corrected my original reply.