The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Another trick play on 2 point conversion (https://forum.officiating.com/football/96468-another-trick-play-2-point-conversion.html)

zm1283 Mon Nov 04, 2013 09:25pm

Another trick play on 2 point conversion

Full video on YouTube: Ozark (MO) 2 Pt. Flap Jack Play - YouTube

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KFG4HNBaLiU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Y! SPORTS

I was actually filming this video that is shown. We ran it last year but it was incomplete.

KMBReferee Tue Nov 05, 2013 03:47am

It looks illegal to me.

QB hands it to the RB, which is a lateral handoff, but then the RB hands it off to the back in front of him. That is a forward handoff, same as a forward pass.

The back then heaves it over his head, but it's still a forward pass, because it's moving in the same direction as the offense is trying to advance. If I'm right, that's two forward passes, which makes the second one illegal.

CT1 Tue Nov 05, 2013 06:59am

The forward handing occurred behind the LOS. That's legal.

maven Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMBReferee (Post 909864)
That is a forward handoff, same as a forward pass.

As CT1 points out, a forward handoff is legal behind the NZ.

And it is NEVER "the same as" a forward pass, since you may have any number of handoffs (forward or otherwise) in a down but only one forward pass.

CT1 Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:32am

What bothers me about these plays is that teams are using up valuable practice time putting them in, instead of practicing blocking & tackling.

Suudy Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 909890)
What bothers me about these plays is that teams are using up valuable practice time putting them in, instead of practicing blocking & tackling.

From my experience as a player, part-time coach, and official, these are more to keep the kids excited and keep the game fun. We had a few cheesy plays like this in our playbooks, but they were never heavily practiced. And the only time they were used was in JV games. We even had a few of these cheesy plays written up on the sidelines during the game.

maven Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:44pm

Quote:

Man, you sound really OLD, and no fun at all.
:D

CT1 Tue Nov 05, 2013 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 909900)
Man, you sound really OLD, and no fun at all.
:D

You're half-right! ;)

zm1283 Tue Nov 05, 2013 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMBReferee (Post 909864)
It looks illegal to me.

QB hands it to the RB, which is a lateral handoff, but then the RB hands it off to the back in front of him. That is a forward handoff, same as a forward pass.

The back then heaves it over his head, but it's still a forward pass, because it's moving in the same direction as the offense is trying to advance. If I'm right, that's two forward passes, which makes the second one illegal.

The QB doesn't ever handle the ball. It is snapped directly to the RB who hands it to the other back, who then passes it forward.

Robert Goodman Tue Nov 05, 2013 08:14pm

Quote:

I'll have a flapjack pass as part of a buck lateral series. It fits in with the rest of the series as naturally as other plays in that series, so makes sense being there.