The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 10:28am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Maybe football is different but in my experience, hands aren't reliable pressure gauges.
My example was poor in that I mentioned the ball "feels too soft." The problem in football is that teams try to sneak in a ball that is over-inflated. My example really should have mentioned too hard.

Now, I very, very rarely am a U, so I don't have the experience that some guys do. But your example of passing a ball around as training is a good one.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

We took a pressure guage to a game once to see if the balls were compliant. Balls that seemed good still weren't inflated enough. Our problem isn't over-inflated, but under-inflated balls. I check balls now for our crew and if I can create an indent on the ball it's not good. I try to get them to put air in it, but I don't make it a huge issue. I won't allow an obvious pumpkin or ball with no dimples. Our approach is very different in college games on Saturday.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 11:47am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
We took a pressure guage to a game once to see if the balls were compliant. Balls that seemed good still weren't inflated enough. Our problem isn't over-inflated, but under-inflated balls.
Suudy bleeds crimson, so I'm guessing Alabama, where it's hot. bisonlj says Indy, where it's cold.

The heat makes balls hard; the cold makes them soft.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 12:30pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Suudy bleeds crimson, so I'm guessing Alabama
Nope. I'm of the Crimson and Grey variety, not Crimson and White.

Quote:
The only cases we've ever had with incorrect pressure was with a non-conference school coming to our area. It was a private school that make perennial runs at the state championship at our second to smallest classification (we call it B-11). We had a transfer to our association from that school's home association and were warned that they tried to have a "kicking" ball. Apparently their home association was pretty accommodating,

I never actually officiated any of their games, and my recollection is from several years ago from our association meetings.

The couple of years they played teams in our area they tried to have their ball boy bring out the "kicking" ball for punts, tries, and kickoffs (they never even attempted an FG since they stomped everyone). Prior to the game they mentioned their "kicking" ball and our U noted it was over-inflated and told them it wouldn't be allowed until it was correct. I seem to recall that first game nobody had a gauge, but I do know that every game after that had a gauge and every time the "kicking" ball was rejected as overinflated. They didn't argue, but at the beginning of each game they tried. (And during the game, our crews refused a change of balls for kicking situations unless it was wet/muddy. They didn't argue too much about that either, but they did try.)

And since all the games were blowouts, they may not have worried too much about getting their ball. It wasn't likely to make a difference.

But the temperature could be an issue. All of those games were in September, and it can be brutal in the valley that time of year. It doesn't get really chilly here until late Sep and into Oct. And later in the season we occasionally get softer balls. But I don't think it is ever intentional. And I don't think it warrants a gauge on every single ball.

Finally, I did want to echo what I think are jrut's sentiments. Most of our schools are very small (about 75% of our games are 8-man) and aren't well coached or well funded. We have a couple of schools that are quite competitive and well funded, but the coaches are the same as when I started officiating (about 15 years ago), and are classy programs. We are lucky to have well marked fields (and later in the year they are much worse), chains that aren't held together by nylon zip-ties, pylons that aren't torn/misshapen, or footballs that aren't faded and worn. We often get teams that are happy to share a single ball (less likely the higher up in classifications we go, but B-8 often shares). And we have some venues that don't even have lights.

Things like ball pressure aren't high on our list of concerns. About as crazy as it gets is some kids wear some wacky gloves or armpads. Or the occasional chain crew guy has a son or grandson on the team and won't stay still or quiet during the game.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Suudy bleeds crimson, so I'm guessing Alabama, where it's hot. bisonlj says Indy, where it's cold.

Not cold until the last 2-3 weeks of the season. Still in the 80s here and we are week 6 of 9. We are seeing more passing teams and they like a ball with a little bit of grip in them. We did bring a gauge once and balls that seemed rock hard were under-inflated. I'm not sure how hard a ball would get that over-inflated!