The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 06:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
You missed the part where he took a knee. That was the point the play was blown dead. That's why I'm saying 7 seconds is way too long to let a "confused" player lay on the ball. The play was clearly and correctly called a kneel down.
I do not see a knee being taken, I see a player going down, but not put their knee on the ground but placed the ball on the ground. Which if that is the case that is normally a fumble and why the ASU players reacted.

And if they did not want the confusion, why even run a play there. Stupid still. Your kicker should be able to kick the ball from anywhere and you would give them a chance. Getting the ball to the middle obviously did not work and caused more confusion with the way the QB "squatted."

Sorry, still not outraged.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a more massive failure in game officiating.
You'd be hard pressed to find a more stupid comment on here. Even if this was a failure it was not massive and was 100% created by the white QB.

If you want to discuss what the U was doing, and do so rationally, fine. Otherwise, your rhetoric here is pure hyperbole.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 07:40pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
You'd be hard pressed to find a more stupid comment on here. Even if this was a failure it was not massive and was 100% created by the white QB.

If you want to discuss what the U was doing, and do so rationally, fine. Otherwise, your rhetoric here is pure hyperbole.
I have discussed it rationally. The call on the field was correctly that of the play ending on a kneeldown. The QB knelt down with the ball. His knee clearly touched the ground. That's the way the officials called it on the field.

I understand where the confusion comes from, but there's a line between some confusion and allowing the defense to run off the remainder of the clock by laying on top of a ball that should be being spotted for play.

It doesn't take seven seconds to tell a player to get the hell off the ball so I can spot it. It should have resulted in a penalty for delay of game because the way it played out rewarded the defense for holding the ball hostage.

Centering the ball makes sense given that they don't have the best kicker in the world. They had plenty of time to do it. They were lined up to spike the ball to stop the clock with more than 10 seconds to go. The only reason it "failed" is because the officials failed in their duties.

To be honest, I wouldn't be anywhere near as upset by the whole situation if the officials had made any effort at all to correct it. They just ran off the field without even offering an explanation to the Wisconsin coach. That's what's most unacceptable to me.

Last edited by hbk314; Sun Sep 15, 2013 at 07:47pm.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

To be honest, I wouldn't be anywhere near as upset by the whole situation if the officials had made any effort at all to correct it. They just ran off the field without even offering an explanation to the Wisconsin coach. That's what's most unacceptable to me.
Did you not watch APG's video?

The whitehat talked to the Wisconsin coach after the game.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 08:13pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Did you not watch APG's video?

The whitehat talked to the Wisconsin coach after the game.
He didn't offer any real explanation. At least not one that's been shared by anyone.

I guess what I would have liked to have seen happen would be a review to determine that the kneeldown was properly executed followed by the ball being spotted for play with the clock situation fixed.

I understand that seems like you're giving an advantage to the offense, but there was plenty of time on the clock, and it was the defense's actions that caused the clock to run out, and they shouldn't be allowed to benefit that way.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He didn't offer any real explanation. At least not one that's been shared by anyone.
And how do you know what the WH said?

Thank you for being a fan of college football.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 08:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I guess what I would have liked to have seen happen would be a review to determine that the kneeldown was properly executed followed by the ball being spotted for play with the clock situation fixed.

I understand that seems like you're giving an advantage to the offense, but there was plenty of time on the clock, and it was the defense's actions that caused the clock to run out, and they shouldn't be allowed to benefit that way.
You do not have a clue what what explanation was given or if it was satisfactory. Even if the coach shared what he was told, that does not mean it would not be incomplete.

And you also sound like a fanboy. For one if they did a review, the other side would be highly upset if Wisconsin could set up and kick a successful field goal. There was time enough to "clock" the ball and be able to kick the ball but from the right hash and the clock would have been stopped. And if you cannot do that, then you need a better kicker from that distance if getting the ball in the middle is so important. I would think kickers practice enough from different angles. You are in the Big Ten for God's sake, not Division 3.

Again, still not outraged based on your information.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 08:45pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You do not have a clue what what explanation was given or if it was satisfactory. Even if the coach shared what he was told, that does not mean it would not be incomplete.

And you also sound like a fanboy. For one if they did a review, the other side would be highly upset if Wisconsin could set up and kick a successful field goal. There was time enough to "clock" the ball and be able to kick the ball but from the right hash and the clock would have been stopped. And if you cannot do that, then you need a better kicker from that distance if getting the ball in the middle is so important. I would think kickers practice enough from different angles. You are in the Big Ten for God's sake, not Division 3.

Again, still not outraged based on your information.

Peace
None of that is relevant. It's good strategy to set up an easier kick. The ONLY reason it "failed" is because the officials let ASU hold the ball hostage without consequence.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 08:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
None of that is relevant. It's good strategy to set up an easier kick. The ONLY reason it "failed" is because the officials let ASU hold the ball hostage without consequence.
Actually it is relevant. When you do unusual things, you have to expect that the officials are going to handle it properly. That is why officials ask before the game, "Do you have any unusual plays we need to officiating?" Of course this is not one of those plays that will be discussed, but if you do something no one has seen or you did not coach properly, then same on you. Why would the QB not down the ball, then keep the ball in his hand and give it to the official? I know that want to move fast all the time hand the ball to the officials immediately after they are tackled or downed. Sorry, this is all relevant if you want an opportunity to do what you want to do with a kick. And Wisconsin of all places had a rules change based off of their actions in the Rose Bowl. Shame on them for being so unprepared.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 08:58pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Actually it is relevant. When you do unusual things, you have to expect that the officials are going to handle it properly. That is why officials ask before the game, "Do you have any unusual plays we need to officiating?" Of course this is not one of those plays that will be discussed, but if you do something no one has seen or you did not coach properly, then same on you. Why would the QB not down the ball, then keep the ball in his hand and give it to the official? I know that want to move fast all the time hand the ball to the officials immediately after they are tackled or downed. Sorry, this is all relevant if you want an opportunity to do what you want to do with a kick. And Wisconsin of all places had a rules change based off of their actions in the Rose Bowl. Shame on them for being so unprepared.

Peace
I would say it was the officials who were unprepared. Wisconsin was at the line and ready to play.

The officials then proceeded to run off the field instead of fixing their own errors. The officials might as well have been in their cars in the parking lot as the last 15 seconds ticked off the clock. That's what's unacceptable. That's why they deserve to be suspended.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 09:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I would say it was the officials who were unprepared. Wisconsin was at the line and ready to play.

The officials then proceeded to run off the field instead of fixing their own errors. The officials might as well have been in their cars in the parking lot as the last 15 seconds ticked off the clock. That's what's unacceptable. That's why they deserve to be suspended.
Once again, every official here has said this was an unusual way to run a play. I would agree the officials were unprepared for such a stupid play to be run. And yes they could have done things better, but Wisconsin could have helped. They choose to run a dumb play that allowed confusion. Running a play to get in the middle is stupid and always has been. Maybe now teams will just kick the ball form where they are and move on.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Apparently you know all about being prepared as an official. How many games have you worked at the FBS level, D2 level, D3 level, High School level, or peewee level?

Last edited by asdf; Sun Sep 15, 2013 at 09:13pm.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 09:08pm
In Time Out

They let an ASU player hold the ball hostage for 7 seconds on the ground without consequence. There is nothing else to be said.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thought so.....
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 09:17pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Thought so.....
You can't explain away my issue so you change the subject?