The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Chop block (https://forum.officiating.com/football/96066-chop-block.html)

Refsmitty Mon Sep 09, 2013 01:56pm

Chop block

Is a high low block in any sequence legal anymore? I answered that it was illegal - and got it wrong... I think the option that the MHSAA considered correct was that it is legal in the free blocking zone - my reading leads me to believe that it is not legal at any time... help:confused:

JRutledge Mon Sep 09, 2013 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 904583)
Is a high low block in any sequence legal anymore? I answered that it was illegal - and got it wrong... I think the option that the MHSAA considered correct was that it is legal in the free blocking zone - my reading leads me to believe that it is not legal at any time... help:confused:

It is illegal under NF no matter the timing or where they take place. That is also the case in NCAA rules that did this first and the NF followed suit.

Peace

jTheUmp Mon Sep 09, 2013 02:04pm

A high-low block is not legal at any time, in any order (high-then-low, low-then-high, simultaneous) in either FED or NCAA rules.

There is one distinction between the two: FED defines the "low" portion of a chop block as "at the knee or below", and NCAA defines the "low" portion as "at the thigh or below".

FED: 2-3-8 and 9-3-6.

NCAA: 2-3-3 and 9-1-10.

ddn Mon Sep 09, 2013 06:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 904583)

I got that one wrong also. I think the MHSAA has the incorrect answer. I emailed them to see if they could provide me with the answer I gave and the correct answer (thinking I probably clicked on a different little circle than I intended, or if I did get it wrong it would be nice to know what the correct answer is so I can learn from it) but have not heard back from them.

JKinATL29 Mon Sep 09, 2013 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddn (Post 904639)
I got that one wrong also. I think the MHSAA has the incorrect answer.

Do you have the exact wording of the question? Like jTheUmp said, it's only a chop block if the "low" block is at or below the knees so maybe that was the difference maker.

Then again I don't doubt that the test makers/graders may have gotten it wrong. You don't even want to know about the test we took in my state.

ddn Tue Sep 10, 2013 05:46pm

20. 1st and 10 from A’s 22 yard line. Guard A77 blocks defensive tackle B62 at or below the knees, while tackle A71 simultaneously blocks B62 in the chest. The block occurs in the free blocking zone at A’s 23 yard line. The correct ruling on this play is….

a. Legal block since the low-high block was simultaneous
b. Legal block since this action took place in the free blocking zone
c. Illegal block; foul for chop block.
d. None of the above

I answered c. (well, I think I clicked on c) and it was marked incorrect.

From this page -> Officials | Michigan High School Athletic Association

Scroll down a bit and on the right side is the Football Exam questions.

http://www.mhsaa.com/portals/0/docum...all%20exam.pdf

jTheUmp Tue Sep 10, 2013 07:17pm

C is the correct answer.

Here's what might've happened:
1) you accidentally selected an incorrect answer.
2) you originally selected C, but then somehow accidentally selected a different answer without noticing it (the MN version of the test has this problem if you press an arrow key or scroll using the mouse wheel... I found out the hard way a couple of years ago)
3) The test answer key was incorrect and/or the person who created the answer key was using a rule book that's out of date (the simultaneous high-low block was legal in the free-blocking zone until about 2-3 years ago).