The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 02:04pm
I Bleed Crimson

Extended Period Mechanics (NFHS)

While working through our association test for this fall, one of the questions prompted me to think of the mechanics when dealing with a foul on the last timed down.

1st and 10 from A's 20. Clock stopped. A1 runs to the A 25 where he is tackled inbounds with 5 seconds left in the period. During the run, B1 twists and pulls A1's face mask.

So, we stop the clock, enforce the penalty, and we have 1st and 10 from A's 40. The clock starts on the ready. If time expires, we extend the period for one untimed down.

So, my question with regard to mechanics is if A rushes to the line to try and get the play off, and time expires before they do so, do you blow it dead, declare the one untimed down, and have them reset? Or do you just let things go and ignore the time expiration?

(Depend on whether management has turned off the scoreboard buzzer or not, this may be different.)
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth. In that situation when explaining the penalty options to the Captain of A, it avoids a lot of unnecessary confusion to explain the procedures related to the clock as well.

The Captain may very well not understand the implications of an untimed down being available because the penalty happended during what may well be the last timed down, so explaining what can happen eliminates the need for him to rush to get the play off before the clock counts down. A simple, "If you accept the penalty, I'm going to start the clock on the ready, but if it runs all the way down before you get the play off, you are entitled to an untimed down."
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

That helps, but it doesn't answer the question.

But we had a thread on this a couple years ago or less. Maybe someone can find it and bump it. Except IIRC there are people here who actually prefer starting a new thread to bumping an old one.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 06:42pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
That helps, but it doesn't answer the question.

But we had a thread on this a couple years ago or less. Maybe someone can find it and bump it. Except IIRC there are people here who actually prefer starting a new thread to bumping an old one.
I did post one. But it was an encroachment foul on B. Being a dead ball fall (and obviously not on the last timed down), there was no need to extend the period.

But ajmc's advice is good. I've never had the situation where that occurred, but I was just wondering.
Old Sat Aug 31, 2013, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
So, my question with regard to mechanics is if A rushes to the line to try and get the play off, and time expires before they do so, do you blow it dead, declare the one untimed down, and have them reset? Or do you just let things go and ignore the time expiration?
If the ball isn't snapped before time expires, you kill the play and play an untimed down.

Never would I allow them to snap the ball after time expired and run the play. That could place the defense at a huge disadvantage.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Aug 31, 2013, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
If the ball isn't snapped before time expires, you kill the play and play an untimed down.

Never would I allow them to snap the ball after time expired and run the play. That could place the defense at a huge disadvantage.
Why? Doesn't the 25-second rule still apply? If anything, it would seem to advantage the offense if you gave them up to the expiration of regulation time to put the ball in play, and then an additional 25 secs. after whistling & signaling a new RFP. I wouldn't call it a huge difference either way, but it seems to run in that direction to me, not the way you think. FAIK your way may be the way the rules committee intended it, but simply playing thru the end of regulation time for the period with the ball still RFP and the 25 seconds still running has got to be less advantageous for team A.
Old Sat Aug 31, 2013, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Why? Doesn't the 25-second rule still apply? If anything, it would seem to advantage the offense if you gave them up to the expiration of regulation time to put the ball in play, and then an additional 25 secs. after whistling & signaling a new RFP. I wouldn't call it a huge difference either way, but it seems to run in that direction to me, not the way you think. FAIK your way may be the way the rules committee intended it, but simply playing thru the end of regulation time for the period with the ball still RFP and the 25 seconds still running has got to be less advantageous for team A.
Had time expired during the play when the defensive penalty occurred, we would have an untimed down with a 25 second play clock. Why should A be robbed of that opportunity just because there's one second or ten seconds left in the clock when the play ends? The offense gets one untimed down with a 25 second window, period. That's part of the enforcement when such a foul occurs.

When the clock strikes 0:00 and the ball has not been snapped, the defense will stop playing. Why? Because in EVERY other situation where the clock strikes 0:00 and the ball hasn't been snapped, the period ends. Yes, the defense would be placed at a greater disadvantage if you erroneously ignore clock striking 0:00.

There is no rule backing for what you suggest. Time has EXPIRED during a dead ball, therefore the period is over. NOW, the period is extended because of the penalty.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith