The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Rule 1-6-1 changes and placards

Sure looks like the rules changers messed that one up doesn't it. By removing the word electronic it does change the possibilities!

The rule now says still photographs, film, analog or digital video and or internet depictions shall not be used to communicate with a player except during an outside the 9 yard conference.

So are placards and other pictures or posters for signaling in plays now illegal?

Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:17pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
So are placards and other pictures or posters for signaling in plays now illegal?
Not in my game.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

CT1 so you have an official document telling you to ignore the rule change??
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

It seems to me BJ you are assuming something is illegal because it is not specifically mentioned. This rule seems to say what is illegal for an electronic device (Ipad or tablet mostly). I think you are reading too much into the rule.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

the rule specifically mentions pictures.

Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 1-6

art.1

Communication devices including but not limited to audio recorder, LAN phones, and/or headsets, mobile phones, still photographs, film, analog or digital video and/or internet depictions, shall not be used to communicate with a player except during a outside the 9-yard mark conference.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

The rule as it was presented to us was about the usage of an IPad or electronic version of pictures, not pictures in general. And that was the depiction on the NFHS Power Point as well. Never heard anyone suggest otherwise when I saw the presentation live and on video.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

This marks the first time ever that a rule was changed and then worded slightly poorly such that those who don't attend clinics, ask questions of officiating supervisors, etc will misinterpret the intent of the rule to absurd proportions.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Someone at Coach Huey's thinks it applies now even to a megaphone -- you know, a cone, usually of metal, that you yell thru -- and not just to a bullhorn (electric device).
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 05:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Posts here (and there) just prove the old adage that common sense just isn't that common.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Communication Devices Common Sense

By definition, a communication device is not a piece of paper.

Definition of Communication Devices
Communication devices are the machines that assist in transmission of data. The versatility of a computer gets enhanced considerably when it can communicate with other devices and computers. For a two-way communication, a computer must be equipped with a modulator for outgoing data and a demodulator for the incoming data. This modulating device is referred to as a modem. There are various kinds of communication devices in the present day market.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Well, what did they mean by removing the word "electronic"? Do you take them at their word or not?
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Well, what did they mean by removing the word "electronic"? Do you take them at their word or not?
Robert, you and BigJohn may not have access to the NFHS Case Book, which is designed to assist officials with interpreting the rules as written. There are several case plays involving the NFHS 1-6-1 revision, that offer assistance.

1.6.1 (SITUATION E): Between plays during the 1st quarter, the game officials notice that one of the teams is using electronic signage to signal plays from the sideline or to signal informationto the players during a between the 9-yard marks conference. RULING: This would be considered to be communications with electronic communication devices and is not permitted. The game officials should stop play and direct the coach to immediately disable/disconnect the device. If such use persists, a foul should be called (9-8-1e).
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Communication devices including but not limited to

still photographs

I do have a case book, bought it on amazon for my kindlle app on my iphone.

Last edited by bigjohn; Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 08:21am.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 10:41pm
Chain of Fools

I imagine the interpretation would come down thus:

Still pictures of formations would be illegal. Still pictures of various and sundry images unrelated to the game are not.