The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   How to get started in officiating HS Football? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/94091-how-get-started-officiating-hs-football.html)

dinoian Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:37am

How to get started in officiating HS Football?

I've been officiating a bunch of sports including flag football at the Intramural level for about 5 years now, and I'd like to move to a higher level (and the pay has to be better than $10 an hour). So how would I get into officiating middle school/high school football this upcoming fall? I'm currently living in North Carolina; are there any state organizations that I should contact for more information? I saw that there are annually meeting sessions, but what should I do to prepare for them? Any suggestions on how to make the transition from flag to tackle? Thanks in advance for all your advice.

SWFLguy Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:07pm

Ask around at local schools coaches and AD's. Search the net. Good luck and make sure you keep everything in front of you.

ump33 Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinoian (Post 880193)
I've been officiating a bunch of sports including flag football at the Intramural level for about 5 years now, and I'd like to move to a higher level (and the pay has to be better than $10 an hour). So how would I get into officiating middle school/high school football this upcoming fall? I'm currently living in North Carolina; are there any state organizations that I should contact for more information? I saw that there are annually meeting sessions, but what should I do to prepare for them? Any suggestions on how to make the transition from flag to tackle? Thanks in advance for all your advice.

In North Carolina, you must register with the NCHSAA as well as a "Football Regional Supervisor". NC is divided into 9 regions with each containing a Regional Supervisor.

I would recommend starting with the Regional Supervisor in your area and proceed from there ... the Regional Supervisor can help you with the NCHSAA Registration

The following links should give you the "Football Regional Supervisors" as well as the NCHSAA "New Officials Information."

Officiating RS Football

https://www.nchsaa.org/intranet/down...5&atomID=10664

HLin NC Mon Feb 18, 2013 02:48pm

Quote:

NC is divided into 9 regions
I thought it was to ten with the split up of North State but I look at the list and it still shows 9. Inner Piedmont is the new one so who got axed?

The annual meetings are the state clinic scheduled in each region over a two week period in July. The state supervisor comes in and goes over the rule changes and shows a video of high/lowlights sent to his office. There is nothing really to prepare for.

Registration will crank up in May-June with the rule books coming out in late June-early July. The RSO for your area can clue you in to the local meetings which is what you will really need to attend. Be prepared to work 3 scrimmages in August. Most areas require a couple of seasons of youth, middle school, and JV before you will work Friday nights.

Order you a Reddings NFHS study guide from Double S Distributors. They should be out in May. Best single resource for studying rules, IMO.

ump33 Mon Feb 18, 2013 07:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 880253)
I thought it was to ten with the split up of North State but I look at the list and it still shows 9. Inner Piedmont is the new one so who got axed?

I am pretty sure there were only 8, splitting North State gives us 9.

BktBallRef Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:12am

I thought there were 9 at one time as well but I could be wrong. The website is down, so I can't look at the moment. I recall:

Southeastern, East Carolina, Coastal Carolina, Triangle, North State, Inner Piedmont, Metrolina, Piedmont, Southwestern.

Did I miss one?

ump33 Wed Feb 20, 2013 06:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 880539)
I thought there were 9 at one time as well but I could be wrong. The website is down, so I can't look at the moment. I recall:

Southeastern, East Carolina, Coastal Carolina, Triangle, North State, Inner Piedmont, Metrolina, Piedmont, Southwestern.

Did I miss one?

Correct except there is no "Piedmont," it should be Western ( WNCSO).

BktBallRef Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ump33 (Post 880561)
Correct except there is no "Piedmont," it should be Western ( WNCSO).

Was it called Piedmont at one time?

I'm now thinking that it was basketball that previously had 9 associations.