The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Another funny bounce play.

Here's another "flubber" play that really happened in a game last year. I was not actually working on the field, just watching...

K is attempting a field goal from their 10 yard line. The kick hits an upright and rebounds to the field of play where R37 catches it on the fly and advances to K's 35 yard line.

The crew working the game let the play stand. The correct call should have been touchback. The goal posts are out of bounds and when the kick hit the upright and it was apparent the field goal attempt would be no good, the covering officials should have blown the play dead and awarded R a touchback.

The force that put the ball into R's endzone was the kick by K.

Funny thing is this was a big game and there was a crew of 6 experienced officials working it. Goes to show you that hashing lots of case plays out can come in handy during these odd-ball situations.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Another funny bounce play.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
Here's another "flubber" play that really happened in a game last year. I was not actually working on the field, just watching...

K is attempting a field goal from their 10 yard line. The kick hits an upright and rebounds to the field of play where R37 catches it on the fly and advances to K's 35 yard line.

The crew working the game let the play stand. The correct call should have been touchback. The goal posts are out of bounds and when the kick hit the upright and it was apparent the field goal attempt would be no good, the covering officials should have blown the play dead and awarded R a touchback.

The force that put the ball into R's endzone was the kick by K.

Funny thing is this was a big game and there was a crew of 6 experienced officials working it. Goes to show you that hashing lots of case plays out can come in handy during these odd-ball situations.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
Mike, under fed rules, the ball is dead when the ball passes the goal line? Or is that just on trys? OR, am I just screwed up right now!!!!
Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Good questions.

Yes, you are correct. Kicks crossing R's goal line are dead except for these exceptions: Field goal attempts are still live until the kick is good or it is obviously apparent that the kick will not score. Same thing for trys after touchdowns after the kick in flight crosses R's goal line.

Major difference between trys and field goals: Example, blocked kick behind neutral zone. K recovers and advances into R's end zone. On a try the ball is dead as soon as the kick has failed. On a field goal attempt, same rules as for scrimmage kick: K or R can recover in or behind the neutral zone and advance.

Main thing to remember is that once the field goal attempt crosses R's goal line, the result can be only one of two things: if kick is good its a field goal, if kick is no good its a touchback (NF rules).

On a try, similar results: kick is either good or no good. K kicks off under either result.

Edit notes: Darn it, I always get my Ks and my Rs mixed up!!!

[Edited by Mike Simonds on Jul 22nd, 2003 at 12:45 PM]
Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Good questions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
On a field goal attempt, same rules as for scrimmage kick: R can recover in or behind the neutral zone and advance.

So can K
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Thank you James!

Thanks buddy, sometimes I get my Ks and my Rs crossed...