The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Question for you all as I am not a football official and do not have any knowledge of the mechanics.

From a football fan only perspective, I could agree with a call or a no-call on the play. My question is the positioning of the officials. From what I saw, the two officials who could have had a look at the play were both straight lined and looking through the players. The side official (SJ?) was almost directly behind the receiver and the Back Judge was moving toward the play along the back line of the EZ, looking through the defensive back.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts that any of you may have on this.
This is not really BJ's call at all - he's moving over to cover a possible back-line call. HL (or LJ) is probably out of the film shot, but in perfect position to help with this call if SJ (or FJ) are unable to see it.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 02:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would have to see the play in question again, but based on what I remember the deep wings (SJ, FJ) and Back Judge were all at the end line at the start of the play. The only ones that would have been behind the play are the short wings (Linesman or Line Judge). As a general rule the outside receiver is the key of the deep wing to that side of the field. Potentially 3 officials could see some part of the play if they have gotten off their key and zone up to cover their angle. The deep wing or back judge would see the entire play if the receiver was their key and then the other official would see it once it was clear the pass was being made to that area. Any one of these 3 officials could have called this foul if they saw it that way, but usually at least one official is with the entire play the entire time if they are doing their job and likely passed because they saw the actions of the receiver and saw both players grasping and holding each other.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 03:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would have to see the play in question again, but based on what I remember the deep wings (SJ, FJ) and Back Judge were all at the end line at the start of the play. The only ones that would have been behind the play are the short wings (Linesman or Line Judge). As a general rule the outside receiver is the key of the deep wing to that side of the field. Potentially 3 officials could see some part of the play if they have gotten off their key and zone up to cover their angle. The deep wing or back judge would see the entire play if the receiver was their key and then the other official would see it once it was clear the pass was being made to that area. Any one of these 3 officials could have called this foul if they saw it that way, but usually at least one official is with the entire play the entire time if they are doing their job and likely passed because they saw the actions of the receiver and saw both players grasping and holding each other.

Peace
The play was from the 5 -- the deep wings were at the end line, the back judge was on the end line, the short wing went to the pylon as the play developed.

A flag, if there was one considered EARLY in the play, would've likely come from the deep wing -- the outside guy is his key. Not that I'm saying there should've been one -- I don't think that at all.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 03:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The play was from the 5 -- the deep wings were at the end line, the back judge was on the end line, the short wing went to the pylon as the play developed.

A flag, if there was one considered EARLY in the play, would've likely come from the deep wing -- the outside guy is his key. Not that I'm saying there should've been one -- I don't think that at all.
I was not sure where the ball was snapped from. I thought it was inside the 5 but thanks for the clarification.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 03:10pm
Stop staring at me swan.

This is a coin flip thread. May I suggest moving non-coin flip discussion to a new thread?
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Grabbing the jersey alone is not holding.
Although it was earlier in this game.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 03:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
This is a coin flip thread. May I suggest moving non-coin flip discussion to a new thread?
I went ahead and split all of the posts off into their own thread.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
No. Grabbing the jersey ALONE was not holding early in the game.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
If I'm remembering the same play (and I only remember one DPI being called in the game), then there was clear and material restriction by the 49ers' cornerback on the play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 04:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
More food for thought.......

Did the Ravens get away with a no-call?
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Pass interference ... and THEN a hold? I'll mail that Harbaugh a rulebook if the other Harbaugh will reimburse the $80 I lost when he took that ill advised safety.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 05:11pm
NFHS Official

The ball was snapped from the 5. They was contact within the 5 yards by both players. However, after they crossed the goal line, the DB wraps his arm around Crabtree, grabs his jersey and prevents him from getting to position to make a play on the ball. Not saying he would have caught the ball, but was prevented from the attempt.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2013, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Pass interference ... and THEN a hold? I'll mail that Harbaugh a rulebook if the other Harbaugh will reimburse the $80 I lost when he took that ill advised safety.
He was saying the 2nd down play was DPI and the 4th down play was a hold.

This was a close judgement call that could go either way (and probably would have been supported either way). I go with the guys on the field wearing stripes who have earned the right to be there. They have seen this play hundreds of times in their career. They get paid big bucks to make judgment calls and they did.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 05:05am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
and now for something completely different......

Bell: Super Bowl non-call was the right call
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

First, you can't judge the play in slow motion. You need to watch real time speed in order to judge hold/no hold. The game is played at a ceratin speed and officiated at the same speed...when you slow it down, you loose all perspective.

I have the reciever initating contact (rememeber he is still a potential blocker if A is running a sweep to that side). My philosophy has always been that if a reciever wants to be treated as a reciever he needs to avoid contact. He needs to establish that his intention isn't to block. In this particular play, if the reciever tries to avoid contact, I'm more likely to consider holding.