The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

played a game this weekend. Our league plays by NFL rules. We were in a double slot/double split formation. We brought our left Slot in motion across the formation. On the snap the playside slot blocked down on the first inside man while the motioning slot was to kick out the corner while the SE stepped back and took the screen pass. Well the Corner reacted and crossed the line. Just as the ball got to the SE the slot collided with the Corner. The pass was incomplete, but we were flagged 15 yards for it and it was a loss of down penalty. They called it an illegal pick. Can someone tell me if this was the right call?
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Where was the pass 1st touched (either by the ground or by a player? Behind or beyond the line of scrimmage?
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

The SE first touched the pass.. he dropped it... but he had taken 2 steps off the line.. so it was first touched behind the line.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

No foul then.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Thats what I thought.. We lost 10 yards on the play plus lost the down. The next play we run the ball for 9 yards which would have been close to a first down if they wouldnt have gave us that penalty. I will be sure from now on to speak to the officials before the game to check on what their ruling on that would be. Thanks for your help.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

It looks like you got jobbed two ways. First, you can't have OPI behind the line. Second, I believe in NFL rules OPI is not a loss of down. You're right, get the rules clarified before the game.