The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Sugar Bowl chop block

Can anyone get video of the 26 yard FG try that was cancelled because of the chop block around 3:40 in 3Q?

#53 for UL who was the right guard had a player lined up over him. The right tackle next to him had a player head up as well. The RT cut his player, the player on the RG tried to go in the gap between them, so the RG blocked him high. They were blocking two different players. Why was this called a chop block?

The U threw the flag, and it seems to be a case of seeing something that really wasn't there.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Can anyone get video of the 26 yard FG try that was cancelled because of the chop block around 3:40 in 3Q?

#53 for UL who was the right guard had a player lined up over him. The right tackle next to him had a player head up as well. The RT cut his player, the player on the RG tried to go in the gap between them, so the RG blocked him high. They were blocking two different players. Why was this called a chop block?

The U threw the flag, and it seems to be a case of seeing something that really wasn't there.
Didn't see the play but you can't block low on a kicking play so if it wasn't a chop it was still a block below the waist. Either way a 15-yard penalty.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Didn't see the play but you can't block low on a kicking play so if it wasn't a chop it was still a block below the waist. Either way a 15-yard penalty.
Okay, even though I don't believe the U even saw the RT block low. #53 (The RG) was arguing with him about it after the play, and the R announced #53 as the offender for a chop block.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

If I remember correctly the the RG blocked the defender into the Snapper and that contact was low. The snapper can't be faulted for something like this.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Chop Block

The Guard engaged the man head up high. The defender jumped and the fell down on top of Guard. The Umpire must have just saw the result and threw it. I rewound it (Time Warner) 5 times to try and figure out what I was missing. Again, I think he just threw it based on what he saw in the end, not the entire play.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
If I remember correctly the the RG blocked the defender into the Snapper and that contact was low. The snapper can't be faulted for something like this.
See Blane's post below. The RG engaged the guy head up on him up high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Blane View Post
The Guard engaged the man head up high. The defender jumped and the fell down on top of Guard. The Umpire must have just saw the result and threw it. I rewound it (Time Warner) 5 times to try and figure out what I was missing. Again, I think he just threw it based on what he saw in the end, not the entire play.
I think this is exactly what happened after I rewound it several times. I have it on my phone and I'll post the YouTube link when I get it uploaded.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

This was an awful call.

West Houston Mike